PC no longer recognises CD drive

M

Marky P

Hi,

My brother's got a problem with his PC. Basically, the DVD/CD drive isn't working. I thought it would be a faulty drive so I bought a cheap basic replacement off Ebay (CD ROM drive) and shoved that in but it's still the same. But we have come to the conclusion now that the PC doesn't have the drivers for the drive to work. Upon installing, Windows XP recognises the new hardware and attempts to set it up then says 'a problem occurred and it may not work properly' and of course it doesn't. One of the drives is a Samsung SH-152A and I've searched the net for the driver but can't find it. The only sites that say they have it want load of cash. Any help please?:lease:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
There are NO drivers for DVD/CD/Blu-ray drives, windows has them all. prior to Windows not recognising the drive did ANYONE do anything to it, uplug it/change it?

M

Marky P

There are NO drivers for DVD/CD/Blu-ray drives, windows has them all. prior to Windows not recognising the drive did ANYONE do anything to it, uplug it/change it?

Problem is, the one that uses the PC the most is my 11 year old niece, so god know what she's been up to. I'm beginning to think that the OS is corrupt. Is there any way to repair Windows XP without re-installing it?

Soultech

I agree with Andy, Windows has all the drivers built in. What does XP say the problem is with drive? If you right click My Computer and go to 'Manage' then click 'Device Manager' then there should be a part with a yellow ! next to it (i think its in a yellow triangle) hopefully it should be your CD drive. If you right click on the name then go to properties it should have a section "Device Status" if you could put that back here we could have a look and see if we can help you anymore.

Also does it come up as a drive in My Computer?

Is there any way to repair Windows XP without re-installing it?

If you have a Windows XP disk, NOT a company branded disk e.g. Dell as these usually just wipe your system and restore it to factory settings then you can do it but I'd recommend backing up all your important files before you even think about attempting this if you're even the slightest bit unsure how to do it.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

they seem pretty good instructions. If you get to step 5 and you don't get the repair option DO NOT continue. Quit setup or you'll lose all your data.

M

Marky P

I'm going a bit by memory now as the PC is at my brother's, but I'm pretty sure it says 'device not working properly'. There is also an icon in My Computer, but when clicked on says 'Please insert disc into drive' even though a disc has been inserted.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom