PC Native resolution for Philips 42PF9831D/10 is pants!

chrissp26

Standard Member
Hi,

Just took delivery of the Philips ambilight 42" LCD TV (42PF9831D/10).

The spec on this monstor is never ending, but having connected a media centre to it via VGA connection and trying to set a native res of 1360 x 768 @60hz (which it states is the supported res) but it doesn't work????

Upon closer inspection, the manual states the only supported modes are:

VGA - 640 x 480
SVGA - 800 x 600
XGA - 1024 x 768

...which in my opinion is terrible. Anyone know a way of changing it to native?

The media centre has a 7800 GT powering the graphics which is supposed to support HDTV's.

I would really appretiate anyones help.

Kindest Regards

Chris

J80FAB

Novice Member
I think you will find that all Philips LCD tvs are like this :thumbsdow

No 16:9 support just your standard 4:3 resolution.

Are you not supposed to stretch the picture or something to get it to fill :confused:

PeteD64

Novice Member
I was all set to buy a Philips TV a while ago, think it was the 32PF9830 & the website initially said it supported 1360x768 from a PC but when I checked the manual it said max was 1024x768. They updated the website a little later.

I saw some demos of the set with media PCs at a show & the picture looked rubbish. E-mailed Philips to ask about PC support & why they didn't support a widescreen resolution & they just replied back saying 1024x768 was the best resolution with that TV.

That put me off buying a Philips TV because they all seem to be stuck with 4:3 support only from a PC.:mad:

Have you considered connecting DVI to the HDMI input on the TV? This might let you use a widescreen resolution like 1280x768. Of course it will probably overscan the image so you'll need to use the video card settings to compensate for it.

MAW

Banned
If you bought it by mail order/net, sounds like you should reject it under distance selling regs. I have grown weary after 11 000 posts, of telling folks Media centre PC use requires proper research of the display. Almost no TVs support native widescreen res on any input. You'd be better off with a commercial display, best of all would be a 50" plasma probably. You also need to watch out for the refresh rate. 60Hz is no good for PAL DVDs, they will judder like hell, as will TV.

chrissp26

Standard Member
I won it. So I can't send it back :) I've still got a Samsung 40" LCD that I brough 5 months ago. That can run the Media centre without a hitch in its native res.

Its just frustrating. Why build a £3500 tv with tonnes of features, add a VGA port and then not support the native res. It is just daft!!!! Who ever made that decision was an absolute muppet.

I guess I'll just ahve to make do with 1024 x 768 but like a previous poster said it looks terrible.

Do you think connecting a DVi - HDMI cable will change the situation then?

Cheers

Chris

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Have you considered connecting DVI to the HDMI input on the TV? This might let you use a widescreen resolution like 1280x768. Of course it will probably overscan the image so you'll need to use the video card settings to compensate for it.

Be carefull with comments like this, as its posts like this why i baught the tosh WLT66.

i figured i could do that and just have 720p, however it doesnt work like that.

the nvidia suite software which "compensates" simply lowers the resolution so it ISNT 720p anymore its like 680p

this can be forgotten about if you only use desktop based stuff.

but for games, if the game doesnt have an option to match your desktop resolution you are stuffed (ie prey) you have to have 1280 x 720 and then you lose about 1.5cm from top and bottom and .5cm from left and right of the screen.

J80FAB

Novice Member
I won it. So I can't send it back :) I've still got a Samsung 40" LCD that I brough 5 months ago. That can run the Media centre without a hitch in its native res.
Yes it is daft why these Philips units, even the expensive ones are lacking in 16:9 PC widescreen support. Who makes these decisions must get paid too much :mad:

Anyway if you won it then no damage done :D

chrissp26

Standard Member
Yes it is daft why these Philips units, even the expensive ones are lacking in 16:9 PC widescreen support. Who makes these decisions must get paid too much :mad:

Anyway if you won it then no damage done :D
Quite right. I can always sell the bugger and get one that does.

Still if anyone knows a way around this I would be very very grateful for your suggestions.

jpow112

Novice Member
I've got a 37pf9830, 1080i, via Geforce 6800

I've had no problem using a dvi -> HDMI adaptor, at 1920x1080i or 1280x720p.

the screen does a compulsory overscan of about 6% that can be compensated for, but not turned off, which is of course stupid.

If you want no overscan, then you need a screen with 1:1 pixel matching, perhaps the sharp.

S

slinkytrips

video widescreen is 16:9, computer widescreen is 16:10. You will never get a widescreen PC input with pixel to pixel ratio on a 16:9 TV. Its no poor design its just a factor of the ratios.

PeteD64

Novice Member
video widescreen is 16:9, computer widescreen is 16:10. You will never get a widescreen PC input with pixel to pixel ratio on a 16:9 TV. Its no poor design its just a factor of the ratios.
A lot of PC widescreen monitors are 16:10 but PC graphics cards are just as happy to output 16:9 as 16:10

My PC outputs 1360x768 to my TV & there are plenty of people running 1920x1080.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom