PC Music Playback Software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jon, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am in the process of setting up my pc as a juke box and was wondering what software would be best for music playback, I have realplayer, is there anything better in terms of sound quality?

Cheers

Jon

2. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For the best sound quality you ideally want a good soundcard, probably from a music rather than computer hardware manufacturer: e.g. M-Audio, RME, Lynx, and then you want to make sure that the digital data gets from your harddrive to the soundcard without being altered - ASIO drivers for the music players will ensure this. You obviously need to store the music in a good quality format as well - high bit rate mp3 or a lossless compression algorithm ( e.g Monkey's Audio ).
    I use WinAmp with an ASIO plugin and a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard and am very happy with the sound. I store CD's in Monkey's Audio (.ape) format files and buy alt.preset.extreme LAME encoded mp3s.

Hope this get's you on ther right track

Simon

3. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon,

My amp has a USB input so am intending to use this, although i havnt tried it yet so dont know how good it is, i have heard that it is very good though. I havnt heard of Monkey's Audio so will have a search on the web for that. Thakns for all your suggestions, its very much appreciated!

Cheers

jon