PC Monitor with XBOX 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Chaplain, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Chaplain

Chaplain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post!

Im sure some of you are thinking this subject has been done to death on these boards but having read many articles, i still have some questions. So bare with me please.

I'm normally a PC gamer, so im au fait with all things graphics cards and LCD monitors etc. However, whilst wandering past HMV yesterday, i spies what i thought was a good deal. XBOX360 premium with GRAW for 300 spondulas. So, 300 pound lighter I get home and set things up. The game is superb, no question. However im not playing it any more until my Joytech VGA cable arrives in the post.

On my Sony 28" CRT Widescreen the graphics were lovely, but not crisp, not detailed and that didnt allow me to see the tangos who were pinging me from 300 yards. Sure, they are nicely highlighted with red blips but thats not the point. On the PC i'd be running GRAW at 1280x1024 and i'd be seeing things a lot crisper. I'd be picking which eyesocket to hollow out at 120 paces.

So, the first of my questions.

1) 11.99 didnt seem like a big drama for a VGA cable, so ones on order anyway. However the 360 FAQ sticky above left me unsure if i'd be able to acheive even 1024x768 on my LG L1915S. So, any pointers?

2) Im shortly to aquire a new LCD monitor. I am very limited in my choice of monitor owing to who i have to buy it from. Its either a;

SAMSUNG 940MW 19" WIDESCREEN LCD TV + MONITOR
    or
    LG M1917TM 19" LCD MONITOR + SPEAKERS + DVI

My assumption is that the aside from the usual brightness, refresh speed and contrast ratio, XBOX 360 VGA output leaves little to pick between monitors?

Im leaning more towards the widescreen monitor at the moment, as it seems to me the XBOX is more geared to that format.

3) Monitor Switch. Anyone has experience with decent cheap monitor switch that doesn't cause ghosting? Being able to move between PC and 360 without swopping the VGA lead in the monitor each time would be superb.

Ok, so thanks in advance to reading this. Appologies for covering old ground. Hope some of you can help.

Regards,

Chris. :thumbsup:

2. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    By all accounts that Samsung 940MW is an excellent monitor so I'd got for that over the LG, particularly as the XBox is suited to widescreen, the HD format is itself widescreen and that monitor has a built in TV tuner. You might like the positive comment in this thread regarding the 940MW and 360 http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-280696.html

You can try using the component cable you should have got with the premium 360 to connect to the monitor (if you get the 940MW), leaving the PC to use the VGA connection. Either that or get a newer graphics card for your PC so that can connect to the DVI port of the monitor and then use the VGA port with the 360.

I use a Dell 2405FPW with my 360 and am very happy with it. I use VGA but will try component one day when I can motivate myself to swap the cables. I have a MS Component cable but haven't tried it yet due to laziness more than anything else. :rotfl:

3. the_Geezer

the_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i have SAMSUNG 940MW 19" WIDESCREEN LCD TV + MONITOR
    which also has a DVi in

THE PICTURE IS GREAT
    with VGA or Compent leads i have a MONSTER VGA lead ok overkill at £50

you can use you pc or xbox on the DVI in with a DVI to VGA adaptor

i done mine like this
    XBOX 360 to VGA
    PC to DVI (with a DVI Lead )

4. Chaplain

Chaplain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, precisely what I wanted to hear!

5. madfish_den

madfish_den

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to back up what the geezer said.
    The sammy 19" looks great through the component inputs. no set-up on it, no hassle. the pc is taking up the vga slot at the minute. more than happy with it.

If only i could get my 32" tevion LCD to work in HD mode with it, a problem as it only likes HD Input through it's DVI slot.

Denny

6. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Buy an adapter for it?

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,893
    Currently I am using the Official RGB Scart Cable with my 32" CRT and overall I am happy but I would love to be able to play Ghost Recon in HD and a 19" screen which can double as a monitor would be perfect plus I just have enough money put away to get it.

Come on people, please talk me into buying the Samsung 940MW :D

8. the_Geezer

the_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  9. madfish_den

madfish_den

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dodger,
    Yeah, There's been one on the way from ebayland for a short while now! :smashin:

In the interim, I've tried cobbling the 360 vga output into a vga gender converter into a vga to dvi lead i already have, but got the square root of nothing as a picture. worth a try though, as an upside i get the 360 in the evenings when the missus wants the tv!

And Mr Jones, I can't do encoragement, how about pestering? buy the sammy, buy the sammy, have you bought the sammy yet? have you? no? c'mon buy the sammy...
    I could go on but i like my login on here!