1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Monitor and Xbox 360

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by V3X, Sep 2, 2005.

1. V3X

V3X
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can fill me in with some information regarding the 360 and a PC monitor.

I want to connect the 360 up to a PC monitor (19") and was wondering if I could do this without the need for a PC (just hooking up the monitor to the 360 via the VGA cable, without having a connected PC to the monitor aswell, basically just using the monitor as a normal TV for the 360).

2. DEV

DEV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You will not need a PC to link the Xbox 360 to a PC monitor. You just need the VGA cable. I have connected my Dreamcast and US Xbox (using VGA adaptors) to my monitor before and it works fine.

3. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    You've answered your own question without realising it!

Yes, you can buy a VGA cable at launch and connect your Xbox 360 upto to the monitor in exactly the same way you can connect a PC to it. Unless your monitor has speakers though, like TFTs do albeit very tinny, you'll have to connect the stereo phones to a hi-fi or use an optical cable to connect the Xbox 360 to surround sound speakers.

4. V3X

V3X
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Here is the offical 360 VGA AV cable:
    [​IMG]

As you can see on the cable, it has red and white cables stemming from it. Are these cables present to connect them to a stero system or surround sound speakers for sound?

And just one more thing. Someone informed me that I would need a female to female VGA adapter since both the VGA cable and the cable of the monitor will be male. If this is correct, can you please inform me of where I would be able to get my hands on one of these adapters since I've been searching all over the net without any luck.

Thanks

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    You can use the red and white phono jacks to connect to a hi-fi source for stereo sound. I believe there is also a digital optical connection on the VGA cable to connect it to a hi-fi source for surround sound using an appropriate cable..