• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question PC misbehaving

rs6mra

I am running Win10 and my PC is set to power down after 15mins of inactivity.
The issue I am now having is that it powers down and when it starts up again I got nothing showing on the monitor.
I have to switch it off at the mains for at least 10mins before i can get it going again. Any less than 10 mins and I get nothing on screen.
Could this be a software or hardware problem?

Thanks

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Any reason why you have it set to shutdown?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
As far as I know Windows 10 doesn't provide the option to shut down the PC after X minutes. Is this a setting in the computer manufacturer's software? Or are you talking about the standby/sleep settings?

rs6mra

Not sure. I did a clean install of Win10 onto the system and I did not use the manufacturers software at any point.
I have since gone into the power and sleep settings and changed the sleep option to never and this keeps the system runnings and doesn't power down or stop the fan spinning.
Does this make sense?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It does sound like you're talking about sleep modes rather than powering down, from the outside there doesn't look like there's much difference.

If you set it to 1 minute and then wake it immediately after it goes to sleep then do you have the same issue? The system does shut down more things as time goes on. If it has the problem as soon as it goes to sleep then that would tell you it's with the S1 sleep state.

Standby issues can be caused by a lot of things, so it could be hardware, software, firmware, BIOS and just about anything else.

rs6mra

You are correct in that i am referring to the sleep modes.
Now that it is no longer set to sleep mode, the problem still persists.
I return to my desk move the mouse and nothing happens. I have to switch off at the wall, leave for 5mins and then switch on and boot.
I haven't a clue as to where I should start diagnosing the issue. Any ideas?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I am running Win10 and my PC is set to power down after 15mins of inactivity.
The issue I am now having is that it powers down and when it starts up again I got nothing showing on the monitor.
I have to switch it off at the mains for at least 10mins before i can get it going again. Any less than 10 mins and I get nothing on screen.
Could this be a software or hardware problem?

Thanks
Let's start with the basics: Is it a desktop or laptop? What make and model?
How long was it working OK before the problem? Do you remember changing anything?

rs6mra

It is a desktop and the manufacturer/assembler is Cyberpower.
It's running an AMD AthlonII x2 250 Processor 3.00GHz

It was running with no issues whatsoever. The only thing I can recall doing different is running CCCleaner but this all started happening.

I have just had a 40 min break returned and no issues. So it seems to do with when it so pleases

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The only thing I can recall doing different is running CCCleaner but this all started happening.

Yeah, troublshooting programs can be useful, but they do have the potential to break other things.

What problem were you trying to fix at the time, in case it's related to the current issue?

You are correct in that i am referring to the sleep modes.
Now that it is no longer set to sleep mode, the problem still persists.
I return to my desk move the mouse and nothing happens.

Next time it does it check the clock. If that shows the correct time then the computer is still running but the mouse isn't responding. If not then the computer had frozen.

It's also worth trying keyboard shortcuts to see if they work. Hit the windows key to bring up the start menu. Or alt+F4 then enter to shut down the machine.

rs6mra

The browser was running slowly so i thought i'd use the cleaning tool. It seemed to be the trick as always.

I wouldn't be able to check the clock the next time it happens as I get absolutely nothing on the screen. I could try alt+F4 next time to see if the machine would shut down but i doubt this would work.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
So you just turned sleep off but left the setting on to turn off the screen? It could be worth turning that off to see if it still freezes.

It might be something connected to your graphics drivers.

rs6mra

Well I have returned to my desk this morning and it has happened again. Whilst using the PC yesterday I was having parts of the screen in black whilst on certain pages. The screen would also freeze at times.
Could it be the graphics card? The current one is an ATI Radeon 5450 1Gb. I don't play games but watch videos on the system; so is there any benefit in buying a more powerful card to replace the one I have assuming of course the issue is with the card? Thanks

rs6mra

This was my screen a minute ago
IMG_20170614_124900.jpg

rs6mra

The screen just went blank whilst working. Changed monitors but to no avail. So I guess the next step is to order or change the card. If that fails then I suppose it's time for a new PC?

rs6mra

Still having issues with this. I have just changed the graphics card, it booted and then downloaded a driver update after which I had to restart and then nothing showed on the monitor. I left it turned off at the wall for the usual 10mins and it's working now.
The same thing happening tells me it's not the graphics card.

Any other suggestions?

rs6mra

Was just using the PC and the screen just went blank. 4 time in the last 2weeks. Now it going to be a 10mins downtime.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I missed your previous update with the photo. Did you change the cable when you changed screen?

Next time you get a partially blank screen like that try taking a screenshot. If the screenshot shows the whole screen then that rules out most of the system.

rs6mra

It didn't cross my mind to change the cables. I will try a screen shot the next time I get a partially blank screen and report back.
Thanks for your input

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
As it's showing up in screenshots I'd concentrate on computer issues rather then cable/monitor.

I see it's not covering up the taskbar. What happens if you minimise the application window? Does it stay and cover whatever's behind or disappear with the application?

Has it shown up in applications other than your web browser?

rs6mra

It tends to show up in web browsers as they are the applications i use 90% of the time. It will stay on for a few seconds then disappear or if i change screens. If i changed application windows it would disappear. Did I also mentioned that sometimes the entire screeen just goes blank and i then cannot do anything but switch off at the wall and then wait for about 10 mins.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
A system that's more frequently locking up and not responding to anything does sound like failing hardware but the other behaviour is strange if it's not the graphics card.

You could try a Linux Live CD/USB for a few days and see if that behaves the same way, that would rule out software issues.

If it is hardware I'm not sure where to point the finger, maybe PCI-E and other issues with the motherboard? At that point It's probably time to start swapping stuff out if you know any hardware enthusiasts or there are any computer repair places nearby.

The good side of the problem getting more frequent is that it's easier to troubleshoot as you can tell whether it's fixed more quickly.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom