1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc media pc V everthing else

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GrahamT, Nov 23, 2004.

1. GrahamT

GrahamT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can a Pc system in an AV case and with the right hardware perform all the fetures needed for decent display on a plasma.
    For example, (an Id really appreciate some feedback here)

AV Silent case with fanless power supply, housing.

P4 3.2 cpu on pcI express mobo,
    DDR2 1 gig and 250 Gig SATA
    Pioneer DVD dual layer writer.
    Happauge Digital Tv tuner
    and the icing on the cake
    Radeon X800XT 256 http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/radeonx800series/index.html

what do you think? do I still need a scaler. mind you I bought that card yesterday for a customer and trades at 305+ vat, so It wants to be good.

Obvoiusly I am lookin to use the plasma to browse the internet etc as well as dvd and freeview.

2. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    it might be better if you visit the HCPC forums as well,

if you wanna use a PC to be some sort of all-in-one media box, then its really very possible, the specs you gave seems to be fine but you have to make sure the components you're getting are reliable, not all motherboard, memory, HDD are made with same quality,..you'd want a stable and reliable system

you wont need a scaler if you go the HTPC route, it will be the scaler as long as setup properly. i recommend you get sweetspot, realmagic xcard, showshifter and softwares such as dscaler, powerstrip and some front end apps like meedio etc.

if you wanna use a plasma for internet browsing, its better to get a hidef one than SD panel

again, visit the HTPC forum

hth

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Graham, all completely possible. I gather you are some sort of computer professional? This would be good, cos you need to be with this kind of setup. They are not too wife friendly. We have a PC driving a projector in our demo area, it gives a truly spectacular picture, DVI to a mustang chip DLP projector, and M-audio revolution sound card is the dogs, but it ain't very user friendly, it's different every time you turn it on.

4. GrahamT

GrahamT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I didnt realise there was a pc forum.
    I was thinking of using the MSI board http://msicomputer.co.uk/products.aspx?product_id=703496&cat_id=77
    The video card also comes from them and It has a media centre which gives
    an easy option to chose if you want to watch tv or dvd etc.
    Not to worried about the sound, I have a videologic setup which is good enough for know and can connect optically.

So Whats the cheapest descent HD panel is it the panasonic HD7

thanks for the help.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PHD7 or MXE1 are about the same. No silver PHD's yet if that matters to you. With the MXE you don't need a video card technically, but might be best to have one, as you can then run it at a pal compliant refresh rate, prevent judder and tearing. The Panny will run almost anything via VGA, but DVI is more restricting, 60 and 72 Hz are the only possibilities. Surprisingly, with my scaler it's OK at 60Hz, only notice a bit of jerking on the sky news text bar.

6. GrahamT

GrahamT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pssst is this a good price, or somit hapenning in the plasma market.

"With the optional video cards - sold separately at £200 - these plasmas are ready for the digital future with HDTV

Buy now from Imago - PDP43MXE1 - £1699 - Down £300

PDP50MXE1 - £2499 - Down £200"

the prices are + vat, is the pdp43mxe1 better than the panny pw7b or hd7

thank for the advice, I dont want to buy just coz it seems cheap