PC Media on TV

raven219

Prominent Member
Reaction score
East Anglia (well someone has to live there!)
I know this has been asked before but I wondered what the current opinion is.

Looking for a box to sit next to the TV that has a HDMI output. It has to be capable of outputting HD and taking a HDD. Wirleless connectivity to load the HDD with media files and also to use it as a backup for documents.

I am aware of the Mediabox and Freecom products. Any opinions on these? Are there any other products worth considering?

Thanks

A media PC might be cheaper and more flexible.

I waited for years for a box that had a HDD, twin digital tuner, and could play DivX files. I gave up in the end and built my own. Now I know I can get it to do whatever I want. I can even add an HD DVD or Blu-ray player later if necessary.

Don't need any tuners and I don't think that I would get away with a PC in the room, hence a simple box!

A PC can look like a 'simple box'!
ASdea_large.jpg

I hope you find what you're looking for.

I agree that looks good, but 800 quid?

A media PC might be cheaper and more flexible.

I waited for years for a box that had a HDD, twin digital tuner, and could play DivX files. I gave up in the end and built my own. Now I know I can get it to do whatever I want. I can even add an HD DVD or Blu-ray player later if necessary.

What was your build spec Stiggy - have you a thread?

u cld get a PC much cheaper than that to play media files

Is that Acer system any good? It certainly looks good

What was your build spec Stiggy - have you a thread?
Mine's not very exciting - it's just a standard Dell PC with added Hauppauge Nova-T-500 twin DVB-T card and 2x250GB SATA drives. It plays anything I've thrown at it so far.

The Acer is a great looking PC, but there are lots of alternative cases for self build.

Mine's not very exciting - it's just a standard Dell PC with added Hauppauge Nova-T-500 twin DVB-T card and 2x250GB SATA drives. It plays anything I've thrown at it so far.

So Dells are easily upgradable then - I was thinking of just buying a high spec media one with Vista Premium.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom