1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc MC Project with touchscreen

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Crab, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Crab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi All,

I'd like to do away with my CD/Amp/DVD/Radio etc. and run it all through my PC.

I'm reasonably comfortable with all the PC hardware stuff and what I don't know I'm pretty sure I can pick up on this forum, where I fall down though is on Software, which touchscreen and how to interface them.

The layout will be my lounge with my trusty old Philips projecter and homemade MDF screen (Thanks AV Forums :thumbsup: ) and (if I can afford them) some electrostatic speakers to flank the screen, I heard a few good things about a Plymouth company called Sequence speakers.

I no longer have a TV and have no intention of getting another one (reformed junkie :laugh: ) The office with the PC in is through a partition wall and what I'd like to do is place a touchscreen on the lounge wall running off the PC with some kind of menu driven system to choose between my movies, albums, radio etc on the hard drive.

First problem is I can't find any good info on touchscreen's, it doesn't need to be too large and any speakers, keyboards or internal cpu's etc are a waste as it's connected to the PC but this is what most of them that's I've found seem to have. Also as it's wall mounted the flater the better.

The second problem is how to interface it with the PC, I've never used a touchscreen before, are they just plug and play these days or do I have to write my own API's to get it to work with Windows?

Talking of Windows has anybody used Windows Media Center 2005 and if so is it any good for my purposes?

I'll be happy to post progress and photo's of the project once I have the bits sorted and if anyones interested.