1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC lock up with new graphics card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Timh, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi All

I must be quick, I have just fitted a new graphics card, a Creative Labs Geforce2 MX200 32mb-sdr-agp. My previous graphics card was a CLabs Blaster extreme pci 4mb, no problems with this but my new card keeps locking my pc up within about 10 minutes, should I change any settings in the Bios or do you think the new card is faulty.
    My pc passes the minimum system requirements.

Thanks

2. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would first try getting the most up to date driver for the card and install that first.
    A lot of problems like this can come from the old video drivers you had with the old card still looming on the system, rediculous I know. The most extreme thing you can do if all else fails is a complete reinstall of winsows and add each piece of hardware, 1 at a time with the latest drivers. 1 other thing also is I remember a while back power supplies being an issue and how much voltage being fed to the vid card through the AGP expansion slot. This problem was with the original Geforce cards. It was also an issue of the size of the power supplies like 200 W not being enough, depending on what else you have like a CD burner or a second HDD etc.
    Unfortunately I never knew how people fixed this.

3. rudgej

rudgej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always try using the latest generic Detonator 3 drivers from nVidia (the GeForce chipset maker). Here's the page: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers

A good place for tweaking tips is the GeForce FAQ site, however it appears to be down when I tried the link... :( .

Another site that you could try is 3d Guru, you should be able to pick up some tips from there.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks for the help everyone, I think I have cured the locking up, I found out I had four monitors installed in the device manager, but now I'm stuck in 16 colours and 640x480 on a 17" Monitor, so you can imagine it looks pretty poor at the moment, If I try to change colour and resolution it just boots up with a black screen, I just hope I havent fried my monitor in some way. I am now in the middle of downloading the latest Nvidia drivers. I hope this helps, if not I will have to put back my old graphics card just to see if my monitor is ok.
    Hope it works.
    Thanks again everyone :(

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

I had a similar problem with my Radeon, I was using a really old monitor and everytime I set the colours or resolution to anything decent the PC re booted with the monitor in standby!

I talked to our Tech support guy at work and he said it sounds like the monitor is trying to protect itself. Probably because the new graphics card had a minimum refresh rate of 60hz and my monitor was struggling to cope with it. I tried a more uptodate monitor at work, and it worked a treat.

Sounds like your monitor used to work ok, make sure you have the correct SVGA driver for it, also make sure the refresh rate is set to adaptor default in the display properties panel(i think this means that it will use the info from the monitor to set the best refresh rate). If it's set to OPTIMAL it may be outputting a refresh rate the monitor can't cope with.

Did you remove all monitor drivers and let windows decide on the best for the monitor connected? Check the spec of the monitor and check it can cope with the refresh rates the graphics card is providing.

If all else fails try and borrow a monitor what you know can cope with high resolutions and decent refresh rates and give it a go! I spent ages installing drivers and updates, only to find it was the monitor.

Good Luck

Nick

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks for the help Nick, My Monitor is pretty new, but today I took the Graphics card back with my system case to pcworld, he tested it, and we came to the conclusion that my mother board wasnt compatible with the new card :( probably because my board wasnt AGP2 compliant. He offered to change the card or a refund, I opted for the refund after all the hassle Iv'e had with it.
    I guess I will have to upgrade my board and processor next year.