1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC -> LCD TV DVI connection not working

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jeff_7, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Jeff_7

Jeff_7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 23pf9946 lcd tv which works beautifully when connected to my GeForce FX5200 card via analogue VGA. However, whenever i try using the DVI connection, the TV displays "no input signal". Does anyone know what is causing the problem?

By way of further information, i don't know if it's relevant. The graphics card has a DVI-I output, and the TV has a DVI-D input. The cable i have is a single pass DVI-D. Everything I have read so far, indicates that the cable should be suitable. Yet it does not work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not absolutely certain but I think that this problem has been mentioned in the Artisan thread (I have the same DVI problem, as do many others, with the Toshiba 27WL46) and that Philips have a firmware solution - in contrast Toshiba just keep scratching their heads :mad: :mad: .

3. Jeff_7

Jeff_7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I have had a poke through the (very big!) Artisan thread and found nothing. Could you elaborate on this Philips solution?

Cheers.

4. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And could someone please explain the difference between Single and Dual pass?

5. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Digital Video Interface - Digital (DVI-D) format is available in Single-Link (3 rows of 6 pins and no contacts above or below the flat blade) and Dual-Link (3 rows of 8 pins and no contacts above or below the flat blade) connectors.

These cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 25 - 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use 165 - 330Mhz.

The dual link effectively doubles the transmission and provides an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080, while a dual link can display a resolution of 2048 x 1536.

6. Jeff_7

Jeff_7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any ideas on this yet? - or know how i could get a good answer from Philips?

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know there was a problem with the 9986 firmware 1.3 not enabling the DVI input and you needed firmware 2.0 or greater, don't know whether it affects the 9946 too. Check out the LCD forum for more information.

Richie.

8. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jeff,
    Sorry but I must have 'lost' this thread and didn't realise that you were still looking for answers :oops: . It also occurs to me that I (no one) has fully answered your initial "what is causing the problem?" question.

LCDs output a signal (EDID - Extended Display Identification) from an EEPROM that windows recognises.

Essentially, the LCD says "Hi, I'm here", Windows says "OK, I'll keep a port open for you". If the EDID is absent (as in my Toshiba) or incorrect (possibly your Philips), then Windows 'sees' no DVI device present and closes the port - end of connection: "No input signal".

The solution is therefore to provide an EDID that Windows recognises and the usual method for this is a Firmware update, either by software (as Richie mentions above :smashin: ) or hardware update (this requires an engineer/tech visit or RTB :thumbsdow ).