• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC LCD flicker while connected via HDMI to LCD TV

DV8

Standard Member
Here is my problem.
Using two GeForce 250 GTS 512 MB in SLI
I have connected my PC to my Sony KDL-40BX400 with a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Now, I have absolutely no problems with the TV while connected to the PC (the picture is awesome) but as soon as i connect my PC to the TV, my PC LCD Philips 220VW starts flickering.

I have tried different refresh rates and resolutions for the Philips but nothing worked.
I even messed with the SLI and Physics settings in the NVidia Control Panel and still nothing. I have used different NVidia drivers and the problem persists.

If there is no solution I would like to know if there is a setting somewhere to enable and disable HDMI through software. This is forcing me to constantly plug and unplug the HDMI cable which is annoying and maybe dangerous in the long run.

Thanks

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I don't really understand. Do you have both a Phillips LCD monitor and a Sony TV connected at the same time? What are you trying to view on each monitor? What resolutions and refresh rates are on each?

DV8

Standard Member
Ok, sorry for not being clear.

I am trying to watch a HD movie on my SONY LCD TV (1920x1080). The movie is on my PC and i have it connected to my LCD TV via a HDMI cable. I do not have a problem with my LCD TV. The picture is awesome.

My problem is the PC monitor which is a Philips 220VW LCD and runs on native 1680x1050 60Hz. As soon as i connect the HDMI cable from the PC to the TV, the PC monitor starts to flicker.
I tried cloning and extending the desktop but nothing seems to work.
I have also changed the resolution and refresh rate of the PC monitor.
The last thing i did was to separate the two video outs from the PC. Since i am using two video cards for the SLI, i put the PC Monitor out on one video card and the HDMI out on the second video card.
And still my PC monitor flickers as soon as i connect the HDMi cable from the PC to the TV.

I am out of ideas.

I hope this helps.
I will answer any other questions you may have.
Thanks

Last edited:

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Monitors don't like working at 50Hz.

You need a way of forcing each display to work at different refresh rates

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom