PC keeps cutting of is it my graphics card/power supply or Windows 8.

ocelot20

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Ok so about 2 months ago I put together a desktop from spare parts I had. Its noting special.

4gb Ram,
Gigabyte Motherboard
120gb hard drive
80gb hard drive
Sony DVD ROM IDE
400watt power supply
Intel Core 2 Dual core CPU
ATI 5450 Graphics card
Windows 8 Preview.

Now today I put my old Inno3D 9800GT 1gb Green Edition graphics card in and took the 5450 out. I put it in no problem and turned the system on. System loaded up logged into Windows 8 and put the the 9800gt installation disc in. It started installing then my system cut off.

I turned it on again and Windows 8 wanted to repair. I let it repair it then logged in and again cut off. Then every time I turned the system on it cut of about 5 seconds later. I left it a few minutes and put another power cable in. I turned it on windows 8 loaded up I logged in then a few seconds later it cut off.

So my first guess is maybe the 9800gt is drawing to much power from the PSU? The PSU is just a cheap 400watt so maybe that is it?

Maybe Windows 8 is acting up? But am guessing it is the 9800gt.

I am going to take the 9800gt out and put the 5450 back in tonight. But I would like to see if there is any suggestions I could try to get the system working with the 9800gt. I am not really bothered if the 9800gt won't work with it as I will just put 5450 back in and sell the 9800gt.

A 75W graphics card and a core 2 duo should be fine on a 400W PSU but if we're talking very cheap here (£10 rather than £30-40) then it may well employ the usual lies of a cheap power supply to claim far more power than it can actually provide (rating at open air temperatures, peak instead of continuous, working power rather than within ATX spec etc.).

It could well be something else like the CPU/motherboard overheating if the heatsinks aren't on properly though, trying the 5450 is a good test to help narrow it down.

A 75W graphics card and a core 2 duo should be fine on a 400W PSU but if we're talking very cheap here (£10 rather than £30-40) then it may well employ the usual lies of a cheap power supply to claim far more power than it can actually provide (rating at open air temperatures, peak instead of continuous, working power rather than within ATX spec etc.).

It could well be something else like the CPU/motherboard overheating if the heatsinks aren't on properly though, trying the 5450 is a good test to help narrow it down.

Thanks I have some spare time so I will get them swapped round in a minute and report back.

Hi it's best to uninstall the graphics card within windows like in device manager for example before physically removing it and putting a new one in, you can get problems sometimes like that.
Swapping them back is probably a good place to start anyway, good luck

Ok so I removed the 9800gt and put the 5450 back in. Up to now it has stayed on. Am just installing the drivers now.

Have you remembered to plug in the 6-pin power connector from the psu?
It's not like the 5450 which draws power just from the motherboard.

The 9800gt green edition dose not use a 6 pin power connector it just slots into the pci-e slot.

Thanks anyhow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom