• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC Keep switching Off

bobbinboy

Standard Member
Hi guys hope you can help me with this one. MY PC keeps switching off with no warning whatsoever. I'm not talking Windows shutting down I am talking on one second and off the other. My first thought is that something is overheating so I have taken the case apart and blown out all the dust and cleaned the fans etc but it is still doing it.

Any ideas on what i should be looking at? Many thanks. :lease:

Krakin

You could be overloading one of the lines on your power supply, some of them shut off to protect themselves if that happens. If it can supply enough to get you started but not enough when you start being active that could explain it. Check to see if you have a seperate cable going to your videocard (if it needs one) as this is usually the one needing the most.

accyuklad

Banned
i had that problem a few times but now it works fine for some reason

not sure if your cpu is overheating that can cause it but you could try taking off the cooler and put some paste on to the cpu then see how it goes

bobbinboy

Standard Member
Ok so it looks like I need to check out the hardware side of things again. If anyone believes it could be software related them let me know!

Thanks guys.

denn71

Standard Member
CPU is Problem over heating,does it seem it restart when your CPU seems to be working hard i.e unzipping programs etc?

AV_Fodder

Standard Member
Agree with other posters, check your CPU temp and make sure it's not over heating.

Have you installed any new hardware recently? Or changed any drivers?

Check your system event log, it may have an error which could point you to the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

bobbinboy

Standard Member
Ok I'll check out the overheating issues. The processor is quite old - AMD Athlon XP 2500+ and the alcpu.com software doesn't support checking this. Anyone know of a program that can check a processor this old?

Many thanks so far!

Krakin

Try this CPUID
It does the exact same core temp readings as the alcpu.com software and reads voltages and the graphics card if they have temperature diodes too.

Sorry I can't be 100% sure it works on your CPU as I don't have anything equivalent running XP and it seem to fail under 98se.

bobbinboy

Standard Member
OK that software worked and it gives readings for what I think is the CPU (it says ITE IT87) of:

TMPIN0 42 deg C
TMPIN1 33 deg C

The Hard drives are OK but there is no reading for the graphics card. If the top two readings are for the processor then this isn't very hot and therefore could it be the graphics card? I ran a few videos to push the system and nothing happened but it has shut down once this morning already so I know the problem persists.

Any ideas? :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom