1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC IR Remote control from quietpc.com

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SunnyUK, Jul 2, 2003.

1. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone bought - and successfully used - the IR remote sold by quietpc.com ?

I looked at it, found it cool that it could be wired to the on/off button of the PC, and placed my order. The day after the remote arrived together with an IR receiver.

No manual. No CD with drivers. No manufacturer name on any of the parts. Packed in an anonymous white box.

Never mind. Downloaded IR Assistant and a generic COM driver from the site recommended by Quietpc.com. Started to see if I could teach the thing to work.

I could not. Each time I press a button on the remote, IR Assistant seems to receive the same hex code (F0F0F0F0F0). Regardless of which button. Not very useful.

Tried changing the setup of the driver. The only thing that seemed to make a difference was the communication speed. By fiddling with that, I could get different codes into IR Assistant. Now the problem was that each time I pressed the same button, I got a different code. Also not very useful.

I wrote to QuietPC.com and got a polite reply saying they would get back to me. A week later I wrote again to ask if there was anything new. Got told that they had been in touch with the manufacturer in Korea, but since they (manufacturer) didn't write English very well, nothing was resolved yet.

I'm thinking that for a retailer selling a device, it really shouldn't be a multi-week exercise to explain how they have successfully made their device work. Simple things like exactly which version of the driver software (and maybe even WHICH driver), how it was configured, parameters, maybe a screen dump showing the setup.

Anyway... sorry this has turned into a long rant. I'm just frustrated about having a nice remote laying on top of the PC and a lot of good ideas about what could be done... all without being able to do any of them.

So... has anyone else bought this remote? If so, how did you make it work?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Girder is a great remote learning piece of software, and can be used to operate lots of different software.

I'm currently using my old Samsung 709 remote to operate PowerDV XP and the mouse.

Gary.

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gave up with the remote after managing to get the on/off to work.

I use my ATI remote now with the TheaterTek plug in - works great and it is RF, so no line of sight issues.

Anyone else got theres working?

Rgds

4. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gary Lightfoot,
    and are you using the IR receiver from that Accent remote that QuietPC.com sells? I know that Girder is highly recommended by almost anyone who uses it, but my problem is that I haven't even been able to get to the point where I can try to do smart things - the IR receiver simply won't see the difference between the keys on the remote. And it doesn't matter whether I use the remote that came with the set or whether I use any old remote I've got laying around (tried 5 different ones) - the (lack of) result is always the same :(

nfordenfield,
    thanks for the reply. It's good to know that it's not just me that has problems.

All,
    Anyone else who bought this remote from QuietPC.com? Anyone who managed to make it work?

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    I'm using my own IR receiver that I made from some bits I bought. There's a thread here somewhere with some info.

Try installing Girder and see if the commands look different with the Girder software.

I'm going to be getting the bits to make up some receivers like mine (it plugs into a com port), I'm guessing the cost including postage for a finished item including cable will be around £10.

That might suit you better. I'll post here when I've got the bits and some working receivers.

Gary.

6. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd be very interested in hearing about it when you've got those receivers done, Gary... I don't think this one I got is the answer to all my prayers! :(

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    I'll try to get the bits ordered next week, and will post here when I've got them.

Gary.

8. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This post mentions a fix someone found when using girder

9. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks nfordenfield. Guess I'll have to get the soldering iron out... after all, I can't ruin it more than it is already! *sardonic laugh*

Thank you. Will give it a go :)

10. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SunnyUK,

Did this work?

11. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nfordenfield,

I can't tell for sure. When I got around to it, I wasn't keen on taking a soldering iron to the connector. I did try to wrap a small piece of copper wire around the two pins the post on the Girder forum told should be short circuited and download the driver they recommended. That did not work. But it may have been because my home-made connection wasn't good enough.

I then wrote an email to Igor who coded the Girder plug in, asking if it would be possible to take the input from the pin where the Accent remote control has its signal line attached to. He wrote back saying that as it is only to be used for asynchronous communication, it would not be possible.

I presented these findings to Paul from QuietPC.com. Had an email from him waiting today when I got home from work with a piece of updated software and an explanation about how to make it work.

I'll try the software he sent me, and if it does indeed work I will post back here so anyone else with the same problem has solution.

Thanks for the help. More to come later in the evening (right now the lawn has to be top priority and then a cool beer out in the garden before playing around with computers).

Cheers,
    Tomas

12. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My asus motherboard allows for IR input on the board, could this be a solution anyone?

13. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IT WORKS!!!!

Paul from QuietPC sent me a "burst mode" driver and a new version of IRAssistant and a step-by-step explanation about how to configure it. I am happy to say that it works.

Now I just got to figure out how to make the on/off button on the remote turn the computer on. Having that button was one of the main reasons I settled on this particular remote kit.

I am more than happy to post the explanation here. But I am afraid it doesn't make much sense without the software that came together with it. Is it possible to include attachments on this board (it's big - about 2 Mb), or do I have to upload it to my homepage and make a link?

Nathan,
    I have seen on other threads that the IR receiver built into many motherboards apparently aren't very well suited for remote control input. The reason isn't clear to me - but I believe it has to do with it being wired for data transmission instead. Maybe someone else can remember the technical explanation.

Thank you so much for the help!

As soon as I figure out how to make that driver available, I'll be back with an explanation for anyone else who suffers from inability to use this kit (feel free to PM me, and I'll be happy to pass it all on in an email).

14. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to sunnyUK, I now have my accent remote working with IRassistant and the Accent ir receiver.

I only have a "L" for learner but am happy to pass on my knowledge if it helps.

If i had this email when my case arrived (thanks again SunnyUK) would have had this working months ago.

Gonna try and get the input selectors to work on my Tag remote which are learnt in the PDA via PDAwin.

Roll on wife friendly HCPC.

Rgds

15. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm glad it worked for you as well, nfordenfield :)

I checked the QuietPC.com page where I ordered the remote from. It's been changed to also mention the burst driver, so hopefully future buyers won't have the same problem.

I find that I need to point the remote VERY directly at the receiver, and even then it only seems to be operational from a few feet away (i.e., my sofa which is about 5 feet from the receiver is to far away :( ). But that is a completely separate issue.

nfordenfield, do you also find that you have to be very close to the receiver in order to use the remote, or are things better with your Tag remote?

Are you able to teach your Tag remote to duplicate that "power on/off" button?

Cheers,
    Tomas

16. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tomas,

My hcpc is only 9ft away so distance is not an issue for me.

I've decided to "teach" the on/off button to my PDA, so no issues there either.

I'll use the tag remote as the "source codes" so that can be used if the PDA is out with it's soon to purchased bluetooth tomtom sat nav.

At least you can macro the remote controls, hopefully this should work with the nebula card.

Nearly down to one remote control..............Ahhhhhhhh

rgds