PC in a cupboard

SeeNoWeevil

I'm considering building another gaming PC at some point but it needs to be something which will fit into the room without looking like, well, a PC. One consideration is mounting the motherboard straight into a cupboard. The cupboard is the one to the far right, it's large with a mesh front and the wooden counter slides forward to create a vent into the cupboard. The plan was to mount a very large, slow fan on the meshed door to draw air through from the gap created at the top/rear. Anyone ever tried/seen anything similar? I can't really see why it would behave any differently from a typical PC enclosure.

Cheers

Tom Martow

Distinguished Member
I'm no expert on this by far, but you've got to think how you're going to mount your components. I personally wouldn't bother with a large fan but go with 140mm fans.

Are you going to be okay with opening your drawer and seeing a bunch of cables hanging about?

Depending on what hardware you're getting why not opt for a case you can build into and fit into there? Like a htpc case, there is a lot of people here who have small cases which could really help you.

John - don't you dare.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
if i was sticking it in there i'd go for a 200mm+ fan on the front, and a 120mm exhaust that i'd make a vent for.

But i really wouldnt bother, just stick an itx or matx small case in there, seems the no brainer option tbh.

You could also just do that and still have a massive fan up front to get a load of air into the cupboard.

p.s. nice set up :)

Razor

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Bin the ornament and candle and stick the pc up there, all the juicey bits showing thru a nice windowed case :D

Would certainly be possible to mount stuff in the cupboard, might be a bit of fathom it as you go tho. Or some kind of shelf behind the TV with a small HTPC case or something.

Last edited:

SeeNoWeevil

if i was sticking it in there i'd go for a 200mm+ fan on the front, and a 120mm exhaust that i'd make a vent for.

But i really wouldnt bother, just stick an itx or matx small case in there, seems the no brainer option tbh.

You could also just do that and still have a massive fan up front to get a load of air into the cupboard.

p.s. nice set up :)
A regular PC enclosure with some ducting is probably the easiest option but it feels weird putting a small box in a large box, the cupboard is empty. The cooling would be a bit of an unknown mind.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
I wouldnt even consider mounting it in the cabinet an option tbh.

wouldnt even need ducting, just stick a big fan in the front of the cabinet, wired to the pc, make a small exhaust hole/vent in the back of the cabinet, and positive pressure will deal with the rest.

SeeNoWeevil

I wouldnt even consider mounting it in the cabinet an option tbh.

wouldnt even need ducting, just stick a big fan in the front of the cabinet, wired to the pc, make a small exhaust hole/vent in the back of the cabinet, and positive pressure will deal with the rest.
You wouldn't mount a mobo in there?

On an unrelated topic, what colour paint is that on the wall in the photo?
I can't remember the exact name, it's something like hessian/straw from B&Q. Or as I like to call it, 'brown'.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
Agree with Chox, just build inside a regular case and tuck it away inside the cupboard. As long as the case has good airflow and a few intake and exhaust fans then it will be fine.

Anything else is over-engineering and over complicating a simple solution.

SeeNoWeevil

You guys convinced me not to bother. And then I saw these;

Pretty pointless trying to dissuade me now :D

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
That's hideous.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Stuffed in a cupboard it dont matter. No case or cheap case still works the same.:)

SeeNoWeevil

some kind of shelf behind the TV with a small HTPC case or something.
There's actually plenty of space behind the tv to sling a regular case so that's actually a pretty good shout. Didn't even think of that.

That's hideous.
It wouldn't be visible. Just something to mount the components neatly to when inside the cupboard. I would expect the components would run cooler like this but be noisier than a basic case put in the cupboard (with a fan mounted to the door)

nero0410

Distinguished Member
You guys convinced me not to bother. And then I saw these;

Pretty pointless trying to dissuade me now :D
That's hideous.
I'm going to regret saying this, but, I actually quite like it.... no, seriously :eek:

Plenty of ventilation, loads of room to work with wires and looks like it can be tucked in anywhere :smashin:

tris

Razor

It looks like shoe rack :)

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
its basically a case without the outer shell anyway, i dont like the way it looks, but it could be functonally decent in this scenario

SeeNoWeevil

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Klipsch announces four Cinema soundbars for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sonus faber announces Maxima Amator speaker
  • By Andy Bassett