1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by greylensman, Sep 5, 2005.

1. greylensman

greylensman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,i am running an athlon 2200+ on xp pro.I was uninstalling norton security so i could put zone alarms on.Now i have loads of probs with pc.I click on system restore but just get a blank screen,so i cannot reset to an earlier date.This pc was bought from a friend of a friend who has now left our area and we didnt get a windows operating disc from him.Is there any way of rebooting this pc without buying a windows disc as i dont know how to get restore back.cheers.

2. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    without a windows operating disk it's as usefull as a chocolate teapot! :D
    bite the bullet and go and buy one of them,you will then be able to do a complete format and start from scratch with a "clean"pc.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    There is always the illeagal option. Im not saying anymore, but since you did pay for the PC with windows pre-instaled as such, you shouldnt have to pay for another copy of windows.

4. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    as far as i am concerned piracy is not an option,after a few years my xp disk was corrupted so i bought a new one costing.........£180 :eek: but hey i got a clear conscience :rolleyes: he bought the pc off a person who never gave him the oe disk thats tuff but he only has to buy windows once,if the pc is worth it then buy it.
    piracy costs us all in the end.

5. greylensman

greylensman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys.i didnt think i could do it without buying windows disc.low end pcs are so cheap nowadays i might be able to peruade the misses to get one then kill two birds with one stone.

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,450
    you can pick up an OEM copy of WindowsXP for about £55, you'll just need to buy some PC hardware to go along with it... a mouse, RAM, etc....

7. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    It depends how valuable your time is to you but you could trz n fix it still?

Have you tried safe mode? Can you see any errant entries in add/remove?
    Have you tried re-applying the latest service pack? Service pack re-application is ALWAYS a good place to start. :thumbsup:

If you can ever get another copy of your version of windows you have two options:

1 - boot from it and you will have the option to attempt to repair your install

2 - you should be able to do what we call a "non-destructive" reinstall. Basically, boot from this disk and install Windows again to the same installaition directory. This means you will probably not have to re-install most of your apps and should not loose data. BE WARNED: Ensure you do NOT select to wipe your partition but in-fact install OVER THE TOP of the old setup.

Good luck!

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Does the pc have the windows sticker on it with the appropriate key?