PC Help Required

Adrenochrome

Hi Folks,

My laptop recently fried its graphics chip :(

I have since bought a new laptop and also an external hd enclosure so i can utilise the hd from the fried laptop.

How can i retrieve my emails and list of favourites from this hd:confused:

Sorry for being so thick but i am stumped :suicide:

Regards

Adrenochrome.

technoman28

Don't know much about laptops, but you should be able to see the contents of the old drive (in the external housing) from My Computer, and you should be able to transfer the information over to your new drive. There again I may be wrong, so don't quote me!

Adrenochrome

I can see the contents of the drive but i don't know where to look for the emails and my list of favourites:rolleyes:

buzlightyear

If it win2000 or XP, go to the external drive, find Documents and Settings, in there will be the login name of you or Admin something like that, open that folder in there will be your favourites, will be a star, just copy that to the same place but on your laptops hard drive, your emails unless they were archived into a personal folder (pst) you may have lost those.

Adrenochrome

If it win2000 or XP, go to the external drive, find Documents and Settings, in there will be the login name of you or Admin something like that, open that folder in there will be your favourites, will be a star, just copy that to the same place but on your laptops hard drive, your emails unless they were archived into a personal folder (pst) you may have lost those.
Done this but there are only 4 in there :confused:

R121

Standard Member
Hey Adrenochrome,
You can retrive your e-mails its really easy if you were using outlook
go to windows explorer click tools at the top - folder Options - View - click Show Hidden files folders - in explorer go to EXTERNAL DRIVE\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook just copy all the files in there to the same location on your new computer. let me know if you have any more questions on transferin data.

hope it helps i know its a b***h when your computers die

r121

andrew1810

If you use Outlook Express, they are in here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{C9AF5EC1-4159-499B-91ED-64998C55A93F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The long code could be anything, but the folders will be the same, simply drop the old ones over the new ones.

For favourites, check the other user login files (unless you use a different browser in which case they'll be stored elsewhere)

graystreet

Can you confirm which email client you're using please? The location of the files differs between Outlook and Outlook Express. Also can you confirm whether you're running XP or some incantwtion of WIndows?

Thanks

buzlightyear

Guess the only other way then would be to just to do a search on the external hard disk for Favourites and check all the folders that appear.
Thanks to those guys for the outlook mail answer, didnt now that. :smashin:

G

grays

If you're using Outlook and not Outlook Express all of your emails and contacts are held in a .pst file which under XP, as hes been previously posted lives in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. Once you've found this file you can import it into your new email client.

Favorites or bookmarks, as previously stated could be anywhere depending on your browser. If you're still in need of help post back which browser you use.

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom