Pc help needed

D

dvdmike007

HI all i am in need of help
for a while now when booting into my main copy of xp pro after a varied amount of time my mouse pointer dies but the mouse keeps moving :confused:

Any ideas and help is welcomed :lease:

Is it a cordless mouse ? If so does batteries need changing ?

no the mose keeps going in the background the on screen pointer stops

USB or PS2?
Tried another mouse?
Can you do a spyware/Adware/virus scan? Prolly the most likely
Try re-installing the mouse drivers. You can still control the PC by using the keyboard. (It takes trial and error, but it works)

But really need more info.;)

twin xeon 3.0666
2 gig ram
twin wd raptors in raid 0
twin wd 250 gig storage
power suply rated for xeons
6800gs 256

mouse is a logitech blue cordless with the reciver pluged into ps2
spyware program xoftspy is run twice daily
as is norton 2006 pro

reinstalled mouse drivers twice
can control using keyboard no luck (its a pain in the ass)

have a second install of xp pro as a test platform and it does not crash there

not tried another mouse but would it not be a software problem ?

When you say you've reinstalled the mouse drivers - for clarification, is it the ones the mouse shipped with, or the latest versions from the Logitech website.

I ask as the Logitech webcam I have shipped with drivers that don't work properly and I had to grab the newer ones from their site.

You updated anything recently? Anti Virus/Anti Spyware program.
Try a system restore to an earlier date and see. Are both XP installs on the one machine? Can`t see why it should work on one XP installation and not the other. Unless the drivers are shot.

yes tried the new logitech drivers and both installs are on the same machine thats what i cant understand

Must be something in the mouse properties causing it. Any conflicts on that particular install? Must be something that`s been installed and it`s knocking the mouse out just after boot-up. Some video cards can have problems with hardware cursor, you`ve not got one of the fancy animated cursors running have you?

That mouse would have gone up the wall by now if it was mine. I don`t have a lot of patience in my old age :laugh:

it does do my head in normally esp as the intel server boards take ages to post :mad: have standard cursors on turned trails on today and its still running ok so far

PS/2 mouse port uses IRQ 12 normally. While XP usually can share IRQ's it may be worth ensuring nothing else uses it to eliminate possible conflicts. The other XP install may not conflict depending if it's auto assigning any IRQ's.

When you say you did a clean test install, did you install drivers for all your hardware or just the mouse ?

it was a full format - reinstall xp can still see the mouse moving the pointer just freezes using the "press ctrl" to find mouse functin i can just about move it

could be interference from radio's/mobiles or wireless networks.

why dont you just uninstall the drivers and the mouse and let xp use its own drivers for it that might work

tried that also
as to interfearence the software pointer stops but the mouse is still moving showing that xp is seeing the movements i make with the mouse but cant move the pointer to match

not helpfull at all but :

on loading the msn.com start screen my mouse pointer just disappeared, 5mins ago. The mouse still moved cos when the invisible pointer hoovered over a button it changed color. On loading a new site it the pointer popped up again.

So what ?

Well, a script was interfering with my pointer, so perhaps it's not a trojan/adware or virus but some basic script that is messing with your mouse ? Tried a normal disk cleanup to toss out cookies and temp files ?

I know crap about this stuff so it's prolly nonsense, but hey, "It never hurts to help"

Actually, as a long shot.

Seeing as the mouse is actually responding but the pointer is inanimate - have you tried either updating the graphics driver or slowing down the graphics acceleration to see if makes a difference?

not helpfull at all but :

on loading the msn.com start screen my mouse pointer just disappeared, 5mins ago. The mouse still moved cos when the invisible pointer hoovered over a button it changed color. On loading a new site it the pointer popped up again.

So what ?

Well, a script was interfering with my pointer, so perhaps it's not a trojan/adware or virus but some basic script that is messing with your mouse ? Tried a normal disk cleanup to toss out cookies and temp files ?

I know crap about this stuff so it's prolly nonsense, but hey, "It never hurts to help"

sounds exactly like what is going on its normally when an internet page is open and if im quick and shut the page down it can sometime stop it
will try the clean up tanks for the advice everyone

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom