PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR-Mode) To DVD-R

Perhaps getting this Panasonic is the answere............
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40271

Having one that can read +r & +rw would be handy which is why the LG looks good.

The whole reason of wanting a Ram reader is so that I can record stuff like I did on xmas eve. Ninja Turtles on Fox kids all day, recorded on Ram on the E30, edit out all the ads ect, title the episodes and divide and then burn over to a normal dvd disc for the young 'un.

Originally posted by Machine Head
Perhaps getting this Panasonic is the answere............
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40271

Having one that can read +r & +rw would be handy which is why the LG looks good.

The whole reason of wanting a Ram reader is so that I can record stuff like I did on xmas eve. Ninja Turtles on Fox kids all day, recorded on Ram on the E30, edit out all the ads ect, title the episodes and divide and then burn over to a normal dvd disc for the young 'un.

Yes I saw the Panasonic drive but if the one we already had was able to read DVD-Ram then there would be no need. The specifications describe it as a Multi-format drive which means that it should read it and others have said that their drive does. :confused:

To read a ram disc in my LG drive you need specific drivers so that it can be seen as a removable drive. My LG came with this, but oem versions do not and I have seen several similar requests by others for the drivers to get LG oem writers working with ram.
Why not locate the ram drivers for a similar panasonic and install them and see if it then will work?

Why not locate the ram drivers for a similar panasonic and install them and see if it then will work?

Thanks Ken. However it's a Lite-On drive that we have - the manufacturer's website says to use Windows native drivers.

Should I still be looking for ram drivers?

Bought and installed LG 4040B dvd-r/+/RW/Ram burner, am trying to copy ram disc onto dvd-r using dvd author as rccomended on this site. When trying to open the DVD _ RTAV file it shows a message saying that the file is unopenable. Any ideas?

Try copying all the files from the RAM to the hard disc. using my computer. Then import dvd video in DVD Author.

Thanks for the advice. Did as you said and it copied to my hard drive. I opened dvd author, clicked new project, add file, clicked VR_MOVIE in the dvd-rtav folder, when the video & audio settings screen came up I clicked ok. I skipped the create menu and went straight to the output screen. Made sure I ticked the create folder box and clicked on begin output. And thats where the read error comes up. During all this, the ram disc is in the drive. Obviously I must be doing something wrong so please set me right.

Originally posted by jem
Thanks Ken. However it's a Lite-On drive that we have - the manufacturer's website says to use Windows native drivers.

Should I still be looking for ram drivers?

Windows native drivers will allow the drive to work but do not support ram discs unless you have xp, and even then I think the device needs to be in place when windows is set up to get them to load?

However there are drivers available to allow ram discs to be seen as a removable drive, which will work with earlier windows versions

Windows native drivers will allow the drive to work but do not support ram discs unless you have xp, and even then I think the device needs to be in place when windows is set up to get them to load?

Thanks

My son is using XP pro and the drive was part of the PC when bought new with XP installed. So I would assume that the support should be there?

We have now given up and ordered the Panasonic SR8588 DVD-Rom which specifies DVD-Ram support in its specs. Surely this will work?

Thanks for the advice. Did as you said and it copied to my hard drive. I opened dvd author, clicked new project, add file, clicked VR_MOVIE in the dvd-rtav folder, when the video & audio settings screen came up I clicked ok. I skipped the create menu and went straight to the output screen. Made sure I ticked the create folder box and clicked on begin output. And thats where the read error comes up. During all this, the ram disc is in the drive. Obviously I must be doing something wrong so please set me right.

Instead of add file, try add DVD video - this works for me, straight from the RAM disc in DVD Author.

Have you tried renaming the VRO file to a MPG file on the hard disc, then add file in Author

You can try running the MPG file in media player/powerdvd and see if it runs. It should work.

Not being exactly pc literate, I didn't know you could rename it. I wouldn't know how to either so just speak to me v e r y s l o w l y. That way I won't get :confused: I'm not the sharpest of tools...............

That's ok, we were all there at one stage.

Copy the VRO file onto the hard disc. You won't need the IFO or BUP file for this (that is just for the add dvd video button)

Load up the my computer screen.

Click on the drop down menu and select tools and then folder options.

Click on the second tab called view.

There is a radio button called show hidden files and folders. This needs to clicked on. Press ok.

All file extenstion are now shown. (exe, mpg, etc)

Highlight the VRO file and press F2. The filename will be no highlighted. It will called finename.vro. Press End and thenpress bakspace 3 times. Then type mpg and press return.

The file is now ready to play in media player or other software.

In DVD author click on add file and load the mpg file in the program.

It still didn't work. Even though I had copied the ram disc over once, I deleted it and did it again. When I put the disc in, the DVD_RTAV folder came up. I went into this and there were 3 more: VR_MANGR, VRMANGR.BUP & VR_MOVIE. I copied over the VR_MOVIE as it said it was the VRO file when I moved the cursor over it. I followed your instructions but when I go to rename the file it is still called VR_MOVIE and not .vro. I renamed it VR_MOVIEMPG.When I try to add file in DVD Author I have to click on all files to bring it up. As I said, it didn't work. The file plays in media player, if poorly. The DVD Author I am using is not a bought version. I tried to do the same with a dvd-r disc and as soon as I got to the final page, it did the same. It said a read error had occoured. Methinks it maybe the downloaded softwear.

Well, I tried to use Nero to do a straight copy of a ram disc. Guess what? It worked!!!! It even copied over the menu's I had done, so I can flick from chapter to chapter. The strange thing is, the disc (datawrite classic-grey) plays back on my Panasonic s35 but not on my dmr-e30. Another strange thing is that while Nero will do a copy straight from a ram disc recorded on the e30, Nero won't copy a dvd-r done on the e30. I'll just keep trying different softwear I guess.

It still didn't work. Even though I had copied the ram disc over once, I deleted it and did it again. When I put the disc in, the DVD_RTAV folder came up. I went into this and there were 3 more: VR_MANGR, VRMANGR.BUP & VR_MOVIE. I copied over the VR_MOVIE as it said it was the VRO file when I moved the cursor over it. I followed your instructions but when I go to rename the file it is still called VR_MOVIE and not .vro. I renamed it VR_MOVIEMPG.When I try to add file in DVD Author I have to click on all files to bring it up. As I said, it didn't work. The file plays in media player, if poorly. The DVD Author I am using is not a bought version. I tried to do the same with a dvd-r disc and as soon as I got to the final page, it did the same. It said a read error had occoured. Methinks it maybe the downloaded softwear.

Found this on the other AV Forums - don't know if it will help you or not.
http://***********/35trg

New question,
I have just recorded 4 mins onto a RAM disc and used the NEO software supplied with the LG 4040B to transfer to a + RW as an experiment.
The video has played used Power DVD but no audio, it stated prior to burning I needed an upgrade, if I do, will I have a RAM to + r - dub facility?
Ged

PS picture quality not so good:(

Using this guide win xp sees the dvd-rw vr mode as a corupt dvd,but intervideo windvd 5 can play my vr recordings fine whih is pointless as there is no way to go to dvd-r using TMPGEnc as described in this guide.Can anyone help.

Rasczak. First thank you for your help by putting your simple to use guide to change DVD-RAM to DVD-R using TMPGenc Author. I have been using this programme for a week or so now with no problems, but now I have encountered a problem. I recorded all the Old comedy programmes from 5 over Christmas, ie 'On the Buses, Rising Damp, & so on. I put the Panasonic E50 on for the first one & stopped it after the last one finished. I then removed the adverts & divided the programmes. I then transfered the programmes using TMPGenc, all was fine until I reached 'The Morcambe & Wise Show'. I get this warning from TMPGenc..."The program is a mix of different formats MPEG 1 & MPEG 2. & also a mix of 4.3 & 16.9. All I did was take out adverts (same as the other programmes with no problems). Can you advise me please.

The program will be a mix of different resolutions. Change your E50 setup so that "Hybrid VBR Resolution" is "Fixed" instead of the default "Auto" and re-record.

The only other way I know to fix this is to export the program using Panasonic DVDMovieAlbumSE, but that software only comes with Panny burners.

That is a different warning from the resolution one. It is because it has widecsreen and 4:3 material in one recording. There maybe a few frames of 4:3 material on the RAM not erased, even if the RAM cannot see it. I have seen this on a recording when importing the recording into DVD Author.

The way roung it is to put it on the hard disc, rename it to MPG and then add file. The DVD can have widescreen and 4:3 material on the same disc as long as they are in different titles.

Thank you for your replies.

"The way round it is to put it on the hard disc, rename it to MPG and then add file. "

How do you put it onto the hard drive? DVD de crypter or what.

How do you put it onto the hard drive? DVD de crypter or what.

DVD Decrypter won't read a RAM disc.

I am using XP. I just copy and paste the files onto the hard disc from the RAM.

Once again thank you for your help. DVD Decrypterdid turn my DVD-RAM into an ISO. (in the past I did this & burnt it onto a DVD-R & it played in RAM mode) however rather than changing the ISO to MPG I did a copy & paste & it worked just fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom