1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC going slowww?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ged, May 8, 2005.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have had big problems with the main PC. Last night the new keyboard stopped working, did a restart and same again. Now after some late night fiddling it will not open any programs except the start panel etc.
    I have reloaded XP and the bottom line is the processor is running at 100% with no applications?programmes running, so nothing will open.
    Apart from cocking it up is there any way to system restore it to yesterday easily, as said it won't open anything?
    Has anyone had similar and Know if a component has bust? I will take it in but would like to have a fiddle, maybe with a lump hammer :devil:

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    Open up Task Manager then click the Processes tab and see is using the greatest amount of Mem usage and VM usage. Then google it and see what you come up with..

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks, I should have done that! Just spent hours updating this old PC... think I have 1 GB left!!

4. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I had this a few years ago, see what processes you are running, i think you have pob got a trojan (worse than any virus).

try this bit of software, should sort things out, its free, so download it and run it, see if it clears things up......

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks,
    Unfortunately the PC is running so slow it cannot load any programmes, only open a few things like control panel.
    I have spent all PM loading this PC and have a grand total of 1GB of storage left! My wife needs this for her MSC, not pleased.
    I shall take the affected PC for repair, thanks all. :rolleyes:

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    When you reloaded XP did you format the hard drive first? If so, you should have more space on your hard drive not less... A pc repairer will do this and charge you £40 - £50 so you could do it yourself if you have the patience left. Boot from the XP disc, select to format the hard drive using NTSC file system, do a clean install of XP, install service pack 2 then load your anti-virus software, update it, get the windows updates, load your programs, put your data back that you have already backed up and all should be good.

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I agree with lisag - however if you've not saved any data you need, you would lose it (obviously).

I wouldn't take it to a PC Repairer as technically it's not faulty - it's clearly a software issue. What you gain in patience you lose in cash.

It does indeed sound like a virus/trojan/spyware type process that is hammering your PC. As was stated - first CTRL-ALT-DEL to get the task manager up and see what is hitting your processor that hard (under the processes tab). Kill the process if you can and run an (up to date) anti-virus process. Chances are you can remove it from your PC at that stage. I'd then (once it's known to be clean) backup any documents etc. you need to a CD or whatever, then reinstall XP, formatting the hard disk (which it asks very close to the beginning of the installation).

If you REALLY have issues, PM me and if I can easily assist (using Remote Assistance) I will - and I won't charge you for the privilage ;)

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    Have you tried doing that ? There are many processes running even when there are no applications so you need to see which process is taking up all the processing power.

9. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi guys,
    I will clarify a few things, this old PC with 13GB in total has been dusted down for use again, after upgrading the partitioned drive with XP C drive is down to 1GB left, no big deal.
    The newer PC, with a larger drive, DVD etc is the one that has problems. From what I remember I had to restart it a few times, thinking it had frozen. When I checked the task manager one item was running at 98% and would not let me stop it. No programs will open as the processor is running at 100%, I am going to recconnect the screen and write it down and post later with the details.
    As I said, no programs will load up.

10. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    is the one running at 98 percent swasthe 'System Idle Process' then it wasn't busy. But from what you say it was something else. Do you remember its name ?
    Have you tried starting in safe mode ?

11. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,
    I have just checked the task manager on the ill PC, it states the application as gcasDtServ.exe as running at 95-98%. If I turn that off it restarts and moves up or down the list.
    The initial black start screen with all the drives etc starts ok but windows is loading very slowly. I can move around some things like My Computer and check to see the C drive size but not much more, it wouldn't troubleshoot.

12. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi,

Looks like an antispam prog to me (no virus or trojan), possibly using so much process during its own initialization/startup and not really a critical application.

Does it still show up as using high cpu after about a couple of minutes?

It seems like you have some other more serious software issues and conflicts.

You may have a virus that has already done damage beyond repair, either way your PC is in a bad way.

The only thing you can do to achieve a working system is to start from scratch and perform a new clean install.

Full disk format and install windows.

You will need to get all the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site for your motherboard and any cards devices that you have and install them after windows for best performance and stability.

Try and save your important files, before reformatting.

Due to your systems unresponsiveness, you will struggle trying to fix it any other way!

Where are you from by the way, i can come and sort it out for you if you are not too far away.

13. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Dr HTPC,
    Thanks, in Eccles Gtr Manchester.
    I have done a search, it turns out to be Windows AntiSpyware program and it hogs the processor. I was hoping to avoid wiping the disc if at all possible as I am unsure of the data on it, though if it's bust looks like it's tuff.
    A friend has offered me the option of popping the drive into an old PC of his to check if the processor has gone.
    If I take it to a shop could they remotely remove any viruses, or would they just reformat anyway?

P.S. how can I save files if nothing will open?

14. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Have you another pc or a laptop you can use? If you get a USB2 to IDE adaptor you could plug it in as an external drive and do a virus and spyware scan that way, or at least get any important data you need off it. You are probably going to need to do a format and clean install eventually though.

15. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    lisag,
    Yes, I have this PC, the old faithful, 6 year old 500 P3 !
    I have decided this getting beyond my abilities, the choice being taking it in and hoping they can archive data or even fix it, or trying to reformat it or buy a newer bigger drive. I will need to sleep on it for a while, either way a no win situation.

I have just remembered, before I popped the XP disc in to try and fix it, if you clicked on start a few times, nothing happened except the motherboard made a single beep?

16. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    ged,

Its your lucky day mate,

i live Nr bolton so i could come and have a look at it for you, posssibly this week.

If its nothing major,ie only a software issue then i will sort it for free, no probs!

PM me your address and contact number and i will be in touch!

Ps.did your keyboard start working again?

Regards :)

17. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ged
    It seems that it is GIANT AntiSpyware Data Service part of GIANT AntiSpyware.
    If possible click on Start, run, then type "msconfig" then click on ok.
    This should open up a new window. Make sure selective startup is checked. Click on the last tab , labelled startup. Scroll down the list and look for anything that relates to Giant antispyware and uncheck it. Click Ok, then Restart.
    Hopefully that should reatart your computer and when it restarts it won't load it up.
    Failing that, if you can get into the control panel, go into add/remove programs and try to remove the Giant antisoyware program.

18. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys, Dr HTPC I will contact you later as this weeks a bit hectic but thankyou.
    I will try the msconfig, not sure about the keyboard, so much has happened!

19. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Actually you can safely disable everything under start up in msconfig that may get you into windows. Dunno about your motherboard beeping though.... good luck anyway!

lisa

20. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If you cant get it to respond enough to get into msconfig, turn the PC off for 30 secs, then power it back up and WHILE it is booting up keep tapping F8, this will present a menu, from the menu select "Safe Mode" this will start windows in a bare bones mode stopping it from loading any unessential programs, this should then allow you into windows in a way that will allow you to remove this from msconfig and if possible i would suggest uninstalling it via the control panel.

21. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well progress, of sorts. A big thanks for all the help. Did the msconfig thing and it worked, managed to burn all my photo's and important data. Removed the Spyware program, restarted a few times but got a BAD.POOL.CALLER message on a blue screen, it restarted though.
    Anyway, chuffed I got my data, it is showing quite a few corrupt files and is starting very slowly, so I am going to reformat the drive.
    Once again, thanks for all the support, teaches me for not backing up.

22. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ged, have a look here.
    Also google bad.pool.caller.
    Seems a few different suggestions, a couple of them pointing at usb cables. Might be worth a read before reformatting.

23. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just an update,
    picked up a 200gb drive and reloaded XP, all is well, except for the Windows message re pre reg. disc. It is bone fide, all sorted now, just the boring reload process.
    I must say again... thanks, this forum is great, I have learn't so much in the last few days.