PC Gaming Upgrade Thread "The Last Jed Ti"

Morning all, after a new ssd, mine is nearly full, looking at this samsung 1tb thoughts please.

Thanks

The write endurance on the QVO drives (QLC memory cells - same as the Intel 660p and Crucial P1) is far lower than the EVOs and other TLC cell based drives. For an average user this is not an issue and the drive will still most likely outlast most other components, but the point is that the price difference between QLC drives and TLC drives is so small that you might as well stick to TLC for now (the MX500, EVO series, WD Blue). It only becomes an issue if you do a lot of large writes to the drive - both in that it slows down a lot with sustained writes, and you're wearing out the cells quicker.

The write endurance on the QVO drives (QLC memory cells - same as the Intel 660p and Crucial P1) is far lower than the EVOs and other TLC cell based drives. For an average user this is not an issue and the drive will still most likely outlast most other components, but the point is that the price difference between QLC drives and TLC drives is so small that you might as well stick to TLC for now (the MX500, EVO series, WD Blue). It only becomes an issue if you do a lot of large writes to the drive - both in that it slows down a lot with sustained writes, and you're wearing out the cells quicker.

Thanks for the detailed response, for an extra £30 i can get the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, so i think that would be the better choice to go with.

Many thanks @sergiup

Thanks for the detailed response, for an extra £30 i can get the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, so i think that would be the better choice to go with.

Many thanks @sergiup

Keep an eye out for deals on the MX500 as well, realistically there is very little real life difference between the two, same 5 year warranty IIRC, and the MX500 might even have a higher TBW endurance rating. Samsung usually have more of the "hearts and minds" share though :)

Its not even that cheap - I picked up a ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB for £99 over black friday from amazon.

My i7 3930K system has served me extremely well but it's time for some new bits:

20191209_135102-XL.jpg

Carry across some of the old bits:

20191206_231131-XL.jpg

And a new machine is born:

20191209_120639-XL.jpg

I cannot believe how quiet this system is even under load, it feels wrong.

@Johnmcl7 Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a black Noctua? Still using my NH-D14 from 2012. Love the brown bits. Building a new system before Christmas (R5 3600) and thought my trusty old HSF was done for but discovered that Noctua will send a mounting kit for socket AM4 mobos from Austria for free!

Nice system. Which Ryzen did you go for? Jealous of the PSU. Was looking at the 550 and 650 variants over Black Friday as a possible replacement for an old EVGA Supernova G2.

@Johnmcl7 Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a black Noctua? Still using my NH-D14 from 2012. Love the brown bits. Building a new system before Christmas (R5 3600) and thought my trusty old HSF was done for but discovered that Noctua will send a mounting kit for socket AM4 mobos from Austria for free!

Nice system. Which Ryzen did you go for? Jealous of the PSU. Was looking at the 550 and 650 variants over Black Friday as a possible replacement for an old EVGA Supernova G2.

The black is a recent thing I think, I do think the black goes well with the PC :)

I did see that they would send out an adapter to make older coolers work with new sockets which I thought was great and I thought the instructions were good and very easy to fit. I was perhaps too focused on just getting the cooler as was impressed with its reviews and think now maybe it is overpriced but on the other hand it works great and there's every chance I'll be able to continue to use it.

I went for the Ryzen 3900x as I do a fair amount of video work and also preparing for VM exams so a decent number of cores and memory should be useful. The PSU is a bit overspecced but I'm hoping the case, PSU and cooler will do me a while.

The Ryzen 6 3600 looks a fantastic processor, I can't believe you can get a decent hex core processor for under £200. With my last system it wasn't possible to get more than four cores on the consumer platforms so had to go with the pricey workstation based X79 instead to get the hex core i7 3930k.

Hey all

So my motherboard died a couple of months back and so I have upgraded my mobo, ram and cpu. Totally different build as gone for the Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6x core CPU, and then the Gigabyte B450M Gaming mATX mobo with 16gb 3200 RAM . So only a small upgrade but it will be nice nevertheless and will mean I have a working PC again!

So I spoke to a mate about this as I am unsure about what the crack is with windows. I think it's too good to be true to just do the new build, plug in the ssd with windows on and hope it works lol?! So I presume I probably need to boot from USB stick and go from there...

Problem is I got this copy of Windows about 8 years back now at least, and I genuinely cant remember if it was a legit version or not, I got it from a friend on a USB stick and booted it from there.
I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, so does that prove its genuine? Another problem is I can't recall if my windows is linked to my Microsoft email, and I think if it linked I will need to unlink it? I don't have a clue if I'm being honest and thought I'd check in here before doing anything lol.

:)

Hey all

So my motherboard died a couple of months back and so I have upgraded my mobo, ram and cpu. Totally different build as gone for the Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6x core CPU, and then the Gigabyte B450M Gaming mATX mobo with 16gb 3200 RAM . So only a small upgrade but it will be nice nevertheless and will mean I have a working PC again!

So I spoke to a mate about this as I am unsure about what the crack is with windows. I think it's too good to be true to just do the new build, plug in the ssd with windows on and hope it works lol?! So I presume I probably need to boot from USB stick and go from there...

Problem is I got this copy of Windows about 8 years back now at least, and I genuinely cant remember if it was a legit version or not, I got it from a friend on a USB stick and booted it from there.
I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, so does that prove its genuine? Another problem is I can't recall if my windows is linked to my Microsoft email, and I think if it linked I will need to unlink it? I don't have a clue if I'm being honest and thought I'd check in here before doing anything lol.

:)
As long as you have it linked to an email address this will work. If not you need to deregister the key

I still use a DVD drive as I buy CDs and then rip them to FLAC format to put them on my NAS drive. I then listen via Sonos speakers to the FLAC files.

Whilst I might not put a DVD drive in a new build, I will definitely keep my existing machine up and running for this sort of task.

I wouldn't be without a blu-ray drive especially on a big tower like this that's not impeding anything else, it still has plenty of space for lots of hard drives. I mainly use it for blu-ray ripping as there's some unusual stuff I watch that I like to be able to put on the tablet or phone.

My case is so antiquated (Corsair Obsidian 550d) that I'm actually using two 5.25 inch bays. One houses a DVD drive and the other my trusty old Lamptron fan controller with knobs and everything! I've been eyeing up new PC cases (Phanteks P400a Black, none of this RGB stuff for me) and know I'll have to forget about 5.25 inch bays as mesh fronts seem to be in these days. I'll miss the Lamptron the most as nothing beats twiddling the knobs to get the right fan speed. Doing it through software/pwm isn't as satisfying.

Edit - Antiquated but brilliant. Been an amazing case. Temps are good despite the restricted airflow compared to today's wind farms and it's pretty quiet too.

Last edited:
My case is so antiquated (Corsair Obsidian 550d) that I'm actually using two 5.25 inch bays. One houses a DVD drive and the other my trusty old Lamptron fan controller with knobs and everything! I've been eyeing up new PC cases (Phanteks P400a Black, none of this RGB stuff for me) and know I'll have to forget about 5.25 inch bays as mesh fronts seem to be in these days. I'll miss the Lamptron the most as nothing beats twiddling the knobs to get the right fan speed. Doing it through software/pwm isn't as satisfying.

Edit - Antiquated but brilliant. Been an amazing case. Temps are good despite the restricted airflow compared to today's wind farms and it's pretty quiet too.

If I'd had the choice I'd have preferred two bays as they're handy, would have liked a second one to have inbuilt card readers but lots of RGB led fans are the in thing now. Some reviews did criticise this case for 'mediocre airflow' which I didn't think could be the case with two decent sized fans on the front and one on the rear by default with fittings to add more but I'm running it in its default configuration and even under load it's eerily quiet with a 3900x and GTX 1070 plus a load of hard drives sitting at the front.

My ancient games machine has 5 5.24 inch bays :D I do like this case and if I might even swap all the current innards to a new case and use this (Corsair Obsidian 650D) for the new build when I finally get around to it. Just realised I built my current one 8 years ago.

I actually do own a dvd drive, but it is a USB one. My Blu Ray collection is all disc, but I have no intention of ripping them or watching via PC

My ancient games machine has 5 5.24 inch bays :D I do like this case and if I might even swap all the current innards to a new case and use this (Corsair Obsidian 650D) for the new build when I finally get around to it. Just realised I built my current one 8 years ago.

I kept my Antec SLK3000B case from 2005 until 2015. Commitment!

As long as you have it linked to an email address this will work. If not you need to deregister the key
Thanks... but dont you need to be able to use the old computer it's on to deregister it though? With my motherboard dying, that's not an option (I don't think?).

I think I will just build it and power it up and see what happens lol. Then go from there!

Ok, i have the upgrade itch, honest opinions more than welcome, is it worth upgrading my Gpu from a msi gaming x 1080ti to a 2080 super ? Would it be worth the money ?

Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom