Quantcast

PC Gaming Upgrade Thread "The Last Jed Ti"

sykotik

@richardb70 Ryzen (3rd gen) is getting announced very soon , and from whats on the web now it's looking promising , higher clock speeds than the 2nd gen ryzen's ( could be upto 5gz ( which is intel territory )
intel may still be a head a little in the terms of single thread performance ATM , but with all these security faults as of late , and after been patch- intel cpu seems to be loosing performance in some way or an other,
so in my eyes Ryzen is looking rather good atm .

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Nice to know, you had the Vapor X model 290x?
I have the Tri-X and even though it is not quiet, it is not exactly loud. I manage to keep it around 70 Celcius using 45% fan speed, which is just audible above other fans (I wear a headset anyway)
How much performance increase have you seen?
Yep, I did - it's up for sale in the classifieds, not much interest though! It wasn't loud to be honest, but it was audible (no mechanical drives, so most things are dead quiet) and definitely warm. This new thing doesn't even spin up its fans when not doing much...
I don't really do benchmarks so I'm not sure how much I'm gaining, but Overwatch feels better and everything is running cooler which is a good enough outcome for me! I haven't managed to try BF1 yet, but I expect it'll be a lot smoother.

Attachments

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Many thanks @sergiup, @sykotik and @Delvey

Am I right that if I went Intel, I should be looking at the i5 9600K as the sweet spot?
And for AMD, the Ryzen 5 2600 looks great and very tempting, especially if the motherboard is relatively future-proofed. Are the two roughly equivalent? Or should I be considering a beefier Ryzen to align with the i5?

Sorry for the numpty questions, last bit of kit I bought was the 1070 and that was years back :) My games libraries are a mix of new and old if that helps. Edit: 1440p resolution too.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Many thanks @sergiup, @sykotik and @Delvey

Am I right that if I went Intel, I should be looking at the i5 9600K as the sweet spot?
And for AMD, the Ryzen 5 2600 looks great and very tempting, especially if the motherboard is relatively future-proofed. Are the two roughly equivalent? Or should I be considering a beefier Ryzen to align with the i5?

Sorry for the numpty questions, last bit of kit I bought was the 1070 and that was years back :) My games libraries are a mix of new and old if that helps. Edit: 1440p resolution too.
A little dated, and it has the 2600x (slightly faster frequency than the 2600)
The i5 seems quicker, but interestingly, it has a higher CPU and GPU usage
The general consensus is intel are faster in single threaded applications, and AMD are faster in multi threaded applications
The main question is the price. The Intel is around £100 more expensive, and you may wait until zen 3

sergiup

Distinguished Member
I'm no wiz, but would that suggest that although the i5 is getting overall higher frame rates, the Ryzen may be more future proof (as in, the CPU itself has more headroom if games keep getting better at multi core usage)?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I believe the upcoming AMD chips and motherboard chipsets will be supporting PCIe 4.0 and that should make a difference to the throughput from hard drives etc as well. I'm going to build a new one this year but want to make sure I'm not stuck with the current version of PCIe. The problem is I think there's still a lot of confusion around what motherboards will get this.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Thanks again everyone. I'll wait for the third gen Ryzen releases, not in any great hurry.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Thanks again everyone. I'll wait for the third gen Ryzen releases, not in any great hurry.
The keynote is on Monday, it'd be foolish not to wait to see what's said there

Delvey

Distinguished Member
This came yesterday
Now, it has 2, 4 pin fan connectors on for managing case fans, which is a cool feature. Since my CPU runs at 50 Celcius when gaming, I think I shall plug the front 2 for the GPU to control as this will likely run hotter

jassco

Distinguished Member
Just ordered these with 20% off on ebay, so £130 for both.

I just can't decide what to do about the processor - get the Ryzen 2600 for £130 with 2 games (I really want Division 2), or wait for the 3600 in a couple of weeks which is going to be £200 without any games. Any thoughts? I'm upgrading from a 3570k that I've never bothered to overclock and pairing with an rtx2070

upload_2019-6-25_9-5-46.png

TheAdmiralCS

Division is cheap enough now to get on its own :) Wait for the 3600 :)

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Just ordered these with 20% off on ebay, so £130 for both.

I just can't decide what to do about the processor - get the Ryzen 2600 for £130 with 2 games (I really want Division 2), or wait for the 3600 in a couple of weeks which is going to be £200 without any games. Any thoughts? I'm upgrading from a 3570k that I've never bothered to overclock and pairing with an rtx2070

View attachment 1165977
I will have a copy for sale as well;)
I would wait for the 3600 anyway. Should be released in 2 weeks. I upgraded from a i5 4670k to a ryzen 2600 and the performance increase just on games is significant

sykotik

@jassco
wait a few weeks , we will find out how good the 3000 chips are going to be , ( which is looking pretty good at the moment )
and no doubt AMD will drop the price of the 2000 chips- to make space for the newer CPU's ( so you may get a better deal than you will now , if you decide to stick with last years gen )

Delvey

Distinguished Member
This came yesterday
Now, it has 2, 4 pin fan connectors on for managing case fans, which is a cool feature. Since my CPU runs at 50 Celcius when gaming, I think I shall plug the front 2 for the GPU to control as this will likely run hotter
And it just manages to squeeze in the carbide 240. :D

Can you guys recommend a 3.5" internal sata HDD, 3tb or 4tb, 7200rpm?
I had a look and most drives now seem to be 5400rpm and the faster ones are silly money. The Toshiba ones are 7200rpm and are well priced but I've read they are very noisy, which I believe because my external toshiba drive is very loud while reading/writing.

caz2005

Can you guys recommend a 3.5" internal sata HDD, 3tb or 4tb, 7200rpm?
I had a look and most drives now seem to be 5400rpm and the faster ones are silly money. The Toshiba ones are 7200rpm and are well priced but I've read they are very noisy, which I believe because my external toshiba drive is very loud while reading/writing.
From my experience if you've not had a mechanical drivein a long time it'll noisy which ever one you buy. I bought a WD Black 2tb drive and sent it back because it was driving me crazy. I have a Toshiba 3tb drive now and it's noisy but not as noisy as WD.

Too be honest though, noise aside I search for HDD failure rates and buy based on those figures. IIRC Seagate are the worst and Toshiba are quite reliable.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
I seen a 5tb 7200rpm toshiba for like 120 which sounds good. If need huge capacity just go with one of the 7200rpm toshibas. If was me i would stick with my trusty barracudas tho, never had an issue with my 10yr+ old drive still going strong in my dads pc and my couple of 2TB drives in my PC are great and almost completely inaudable at 3ft away.

Ive got a chair upgrade and have one of these on the way. Had my chair a long time but recently seems to hurt my back and neck. So time for a new one.

noblechairs ICON Gaming Chair - Black/Gold

GMC79

Distinguished Member

GMC79

Distinguished Member
New games and storage drive, pretty good black Friday deal. So now out can come my 2TB seagate standard hdd. :)

Attachments

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
New games and storage drive, pretty good black Friday deal. So now out can come my 2TB seagate standard hdd. :)
I noticed that on Amazon, nice price :smashin:

Furnace Inferno

10B440ED-96A8-4FED-A1A5-9D06F6CCF042.jpeg

Plumbed for this in the bf sale, as you can see no actual room for it at the moment, goes in the full impulse buy category.

PC has been pissing me off lately transferring sound into my speakers since upgrading the GPU and power amp, not sure which caused the issue but now I get both a high pitch pwm whine and a lower pitch hum once in game, both pretty loud!

So got this for the sim rig and a USB dac on the way just need to pick some headphones and hopefully the annoying noise will be solved although I will lose Atmos. Oh and I hit up a WD blue 4TB, could have got a whole new PC with i9 9900k and 2080Ti with the money I spent :facepalm::laugh:. Probably would have done if they were more powerful, holding out for the next round though.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Just had a 2070 Super delivered. Any idea how I find the code of redeeming COD? Nothing obvious leaping out at me!