Quantcast

PC Gaming Upgrade Thread "The Last Jed Ti"

stument

Distinguished Member
i really want to grab myself an arm stand but because the yeti is a fat fudgeer its hard to find a shock mount at a decent price

majnu

Distinguished Member
i really want to grab myself an arm stand but because the yeti is a fat ****er its hard to find a shock mount at a decent price
Just saw the price of the shock mounts :eek:

I'm picking up a longer stand tomorrow as the one I have doesn't quite reach far enough

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Interesting times ahead :)

Assuming that were true, does anyone have any idea what these cards will likely equate to in real world performance terms? I know they gimp the cards as they will drip feed improvements over the lifetime of the next gen, but I'm wondering just how much better the first round of next gen cards will be, compared to the likes of the 970s and 980Tis.

holtehero

Interesting times ahead :)

Assuming that were true, does anyone have any idea what these cards will likely equate to in real world performance terms? I know they gimp the cards as they will drip feed improvements over the lifetime of the next gen, but I'm wondering just how much better the first round of next gen cards will be, compared to the likes of the 970s and 980Tis.
Its going to be an interesting one as there are quite alot of improvement areas

The drop to a far smaller die size (current cards are 28nm, Pascal is 16nm) is likely to improve the heat and power consumption quite a bit, also with either HBM2 and GDDR5x (which they mention for the 1080/1070) the memory bandwidth should be increased as well.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 1080/1070 are either level or just above the 980Ti and then the full fat Pascal (GP100 - Titan/Ti) with HBM2 will push things on considerably - bet we don't see that until 2017 or until AMD catch up

What they are likely to do is drop the prices on the 980Ti a bit

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I hate this gaming lark. I was pretty much set to cancel my Rift pre-order so I ordered an Acer X34 predator yesterday (arrives tomorrow...gsync high refresh goodness here we come!)...and then they go and confirm Elite Dangerous is compatible with the Rift from day one :eek:

It would be rude not to keep both though... :devil:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Sounds expensive, especially with GDDR5X not yet being mass produced (that we know of)

prezzy

Been a while since I had a gaming pc and was going to wait out the pascal cards but reckon the price of them will be a lot until next year at least - just ordered:

Corsair Graphite 780T Full Tower Case - White
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
Corsair Hydro H110 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Gaming 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G)
MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Gaming 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G)
Corsair RM Series RMi 1000 '80+ Gold' 1000W Modular Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Magnetic Connect 15 LED-Strip 30cm - White

Comes in at just over 2k - I already have a 250gb ssd for os and 3tb drive for storage
Looking forward to getting it next week.

moonbeam120

Whoops my 2k build from above has just had another £900 added - Acer Predator X34" Curved WQHD G-Sync Gaming Monitor - ordered
Ditch one of your GTX980Ti's to help pay for your X34. You won't need it and you won't have any SLI driver issues to contend with.

Also consider a Samsung Pro 950 M.2 NVMe SSD for your boot drive they are super fast. Your Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard supports it.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
@Razor - you were right, fantastic monitor, albeit with some caveats.

G-sync is fantastic, and games in general are silky smooth, even when you're getting sub-60 fps. On R6 Siege, for example, I get 50-60fps as it's not optimised for SLI, but it still feels really good to play. On games where I can hit 100fps like BF4 though, it's a stunning experience and so much better than 60fps V-sync. The buttery smoothness makes it a joy to play, and I found my game was so much better.

The monitor curve is gentle and doesn't distort the desktop like I thought it would, and the LED downlighting - imho - is excellent, and so much better than the tacky projected logo like on the ROG.

I'm quite familiar with backlight bleed and IPS glow as I've owned a few before, but that - for me - is where the monitor falls down. Playing the panel lottery is a PITA frankly, and I feel like I've won in some areas and lost in others. 100hz is rock solid and there's no coil whine, which is great. But on the left hand side there is noticeable IPS glow. The problem is, there's none on the right side, and on the bottom left there's two obvious patches...it's yellowish in the corner, then it turns darker and then yellow again.

I don't notice it during the day, but as most of my gaming is done at night with the lights low, it's really noticeable.

I can forgive the crappy menu system (you only tweak it once so no biggie), but the inconsistency of image is a problem. I'm not sure whether to keep it or to get another one. I might order another just to compare the two, as other than the IPS glow it's a cracking piece of kit. Tough call.

One thing is for sure though - G-sync and high refresh gaming is so much better than the experience I've been used to...

Last edited:

prezzy

Ditch one of your GTX980Ti's to help pay for your X34. You won't need it and you won't have any SLI driver issues to contend with.

Also consider a Samsung Pro 950 M.2 NVMe SSD for your boot drive they are super fast. Your Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard supports it.
Will stick with the two 980ti's can always just use one if I have any issues with particular games. Like the look of those Samsung SSD's I may upgrade to one of them in the near future.

prezzy

I'm quite familiar with backlight bleed and IPS glow as I've owned a few before, but that - for me - is where the monitor falls down. Playing the panel lottery is a PITA frankly, and I feel like I've won in some areas and lost in others. 100hz is rock solid and there's no coil whine, which is great. But on the left hand side there is noticeable IPS glow. The problem is, there's none on the right side, and on the bottom left
there's two obvious patches...it's yellowish in the corner, then it turns darker and then yellow again.
This is the only thing worrying me, mine should be here Wednesday - will be sending straight back if it too annoying.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
This is the only thing worrying me, mine should be here Wednesday - will be sending straight back if it too annoying.
It's a tough one, because any IPS panel will suffer from this to a certain degree. But when spending this kind of money, patchy IPS glow is unacceptable to me, especially when it's worse than other IPS panels I've owned in the past. I'm going to run it for a few days and see if it changes - I read on OCUK that some people's panels have changed with use, although I can't work out why on earth that could happen.

jjgreenwood

I've got the Dell and it has really bad back light bleed in the corners. A Samsung va display may be better if it bothers you. Not really noticeable on desktop or when gaming but quite obvious when watching films.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I've got the Dell and it has really bad back light bleed in the corners. A Samsung va display may be better if it bothers you.
I've got a 4k 40" va panel which is superb for blacks and uniformity, but it's a balance of compromises, because the gaming experience on the Predator puts that in the shade!

I've been working on my PC all day today, and the X34 is also fantastic as a productivity monitor. It's so much easier working on this than my 40", and split windows works really well.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
This is worse than it actually looks in the flesh, but the bleed is far too inconsistent for me to keep at this price. Shame as otherwise I love this panel!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1457996515.657293.jpg

jjgreenwood

This is worse than it actually looks in the flesh, but the bleed is far too inconsistent for me to keep at this price. Shame as otherwise I love this panel! View attachment 692261
thats worse than mine but yea it'll always be bad

My Dell 34" has glow too. Perhaps its just the nature of the curve with smallish bezels. I cant say its affected me once I stopped looking for it after a few days.

Razor

Distinguished Member
@Razor - you were right, fantastic monitor, albeit with some caveats.

G-sync is fantastic, and games in general are silky smooth, even when you're getting sub-60 fps. On R6 Siege, for example, I get 50-60fps as it's not optimised for SLI, but it still feels really good to play. On games where I can hit 100fps like BF4 though, it's a stunning experience and so much better than 60fps V-sync. The buttery smoothness makes it a joy to play, and I found my game was so much better.

The monitor curve is gentle and doesn't distort the desktop like I thought it would, and the LED downlighting - imho - is excellent, and so much better than the tacky projected logo like on the ROG.

I'm quite familiar with backlight bleed and IPS glow as I've owned a few before, but that - for me - is where the monitor falls down. Playing the panel lottery is a PITA frankly, and I feel like I've won in some areas and lost in others. 100hz is rock solid and there's no coil whine, which is great. But on the left hand side there is noticeable IPS glow. The problem is, there's none on the right side, and on the bottom left there's two obvious patches...it's yellowish in the corner, then it turns darker and then yellow again.

I don't notice it during the day, but as most of my gaming is done at night with the lights low, it's really noticeable.

I can forgive the crappy menu system (you only tweak it once so no biggie), but the inconsistency of image is a problem. I'm not sure whether to keep it or to get another one. I might order another just to compare the two, as other than the IPS glow it's a cracking piece of kit. Tough call.

One thing is for sure though - G-sync and high refresh gaming is so much better than the experience I've been used to...

Try rubbing the frame with a cloth and you might get lucky on the blb. I had a very small amount on mine in the upper left corner but rubbing it with a cloth made a difference. Also turn down your brightness a touch from the default. Blb is also known to bed in after a few days too from what I have read. :)

For some reason I cant enlarge your image of the bleed. When you take a picture do it in normal lighting conditions and sit 1.8m away holding the camera in the middle of the screen. This is how tftcentral suggests how to do it to get a better assessment of the panel.

Last edited: