Quantcast

PC Gaming Upgrade Thread Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Continuation from here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/1586391-pc-gaming-upgrade-thread-pt2-101.html

Just remember, Nvidia - Good, AMD - Bad. :)

Last post by Brembo was:

Did another install under AHCI and it worked great. And WOW. I thought my SSD was fast before ... this thing FLIES now!! 7.9 on the Windows Index, before I got 7.5 or something so I imagine I had it plugged into the wrong port on my motherboard too.

Thanks for your help, Brembo! Really appreciated.
Yeah the port makes a difference. On my last motherboard when I was connected to the 3GB/S port the performance wasn't as good, and the wei score was lower.

What did you do this time round? Simply go back to the bios and re enable ahci as you did before and re install?

Did you do a completely fresh install as I suggested or was it a re-build from your old install?

EDIT: No it wasn't, Dazimus just beat me to it.

Went back to the bios and set it to AHCI again. Tried to carry on the boot and it booted to a Windows logo, then reste and said there was a problem, I think. Clicked to carry on and it installed fine from then on, finishing off the install.

Been running since, rebooted a couple of times, installed Steam etc, and all is great.

plasmame

Hi I have just bought Skyrim and my computer cant handle it so I need to upgrade, but I don't have enough money to build a new system so was hoping I can just buy a new gpu and be able to play.

This is my current system.

-Asus P5Q-E
-Intel C2D E6850
-Nvidia Geforce 8800 gts 640mb
-Corsair HX 520w
-2 gb Gskill pc 6400
- 22" WS 1680x1050 res

So will I be able to buy a Asus GTX 560TI and play the latest games on medium to high settings?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I'd say that unfortunately your CPU is probably not up to the task. A graphics card the likes of a 560Ti may well be bottlenecked by the CPU.

According to here:
CPU-Upgrade: ASUS P5Q-E processor support and specifications

Your motherboard could take a decent quad core. A cheap upgrade may be to get a Q6600 for £50 and then try something like a 560 after that. Perhaps also upgrade to 4GB ram too.

TheNameIsJambo

Razor

Distinguished Member
Greg or Jambo wots modular?
Not all the cables are attached to the psu. The essential cables are but the rest can be plugged in as and when you need them. It basically cuts down on the amount of cables in your case unless you use all of the cables which is unlikely.

Our Year

Distinguished Member
Razor said:
Not all the cables are attached to the psu. The essential cables are but the rest can be plugged in as and when you need them. It basically cuts down on the amount of cables in your case unless you use all of the cables which is unlikely.
Cheers matey as you know my case is immaculate

Razor

Distinguished Member

AVF Jay

Banned
Hi Neil as I said by pm this one you picked would be powerful enough but only doesn't have enough PCI-e connectors for the 580 I have as it needs 2 8 pin and 1 6 pin.. You would need an adapter. 700W OCZ ModXStream Pro Modular Power Supply - OCZ700MXSP-UK - CCL Computers

This corsair one I linked to has enough connections 750W Corsair HX750W Modular Power Supply - CMPSU-750HXUK - CCL Computers

Another thing worth bearing in mind is modular psus are more expensive so in theory you could get a more powerful non modular psu for the same price as a less powerful modular one.

For example the TX850 corsair is cheaper than HX750 or TX750M.

A modular one is not essential in anyway, it's just more for convenience.

What is your budget on a psu, remember don't save on the psu as it's the heart of your rig and a decent psu can last you for loads of builds.

Nothing worse than buying a psu then needing to change it down the line, so I tend to buy more than what I need.

Also brands wise corsair are solid, enermax are another decent one and seasonic obviously.

Last edited:

AVF Jay

Banned
Sub 100 tbh mate
Some bloke is being tight on the classifieds lolol
Just noticed that edit :laugh:

I think I need to sleep on it.

God I really need to think before I buy things. :rotfl:

If I look at all the money I've lost selling my motherboard, cpu, cooler, graphics cards, case etc I'm sure I could have built a new rig. I spent over 100 quid on noctua fans and a month later sold them for 50 quid on here after paying for citylink I made 40 quid on the fans.

God I've actually sold so much, I forgot about the h100 too :eek: I might as well just set fire to my money :rotfl:

It's the internet, I never used to online shop but now I've pretty much always got a tab open looking for something to buy

Last edited:
I want to build a gaming machine :D I currently have the following:

- Case: Xigmatek Asgard - Black
- Power Supply: OCZ 500w StealthXStream II
- CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 250 3.00GHz (Socket AM3)
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H 880G (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
- RAM: OCZ Gold Low Voltage 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel
- Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6GB/s
Can anyone tell me what I could save from the above ? If not I don't mind starting from scratch.

If I'm honest just the hard drive, and the case if you're happy with it.

I'd start from scratch.
I think I might end up starting from scratch.

I was thinking of a Fractal Design case and maybe an I5. I was thinking of buying some new parts for my machine but I feel like that may be chucking money at a dead horse.

AVF Jay

Banned
I think I might end up starting from scratch.

I was thinking of a Fractal Design case and maybe an I5. I was thinking of buying some new parts for my machine but I feel like that may be chucking money at a dead horse.
Well for a half decent gpu your psu would be pushing it, so straight off you've changed two things, then you might find your cpu bottlenecks your gpu, even if you overclock it slightly.

You can't go wrong with an i5 2500k, say 160 for the cpu, 100 for a motherboard, 40 quid for 8gb ram, 60 quid for a 64gb m4 ssd for the os and 80 for a psu.

That would be 440, then say 200 for a gpu and you've got a very good rig.

You would just need to pick a case and a cheapish cpu cooler (stock would do for the minute).

You could use your hard drive as your main storage drive to get you going.

Infact with that sort of money it would be such a jump from your rig and it would literally take a s**t on the 360 and use the ps3 to wipe its arse :laugh:

Last edited:

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I must say that i thought I may struggle with my Corsair 550 modular PSU in my setup (kfa2 480gtx, i5, 4gb ram, 2 hd's, 1 DVD) but it copes no problem, even with the card and CPU nicely overclocked. The system is by far the most stable pc i've ever had and hardly ever locks up. That said, if I stepped up to an i7 and a 680gtx then I'd change it then. The 480gtx is a fairly power hungry card though.

I've got a brand new, still sealed Corsair 650 HX modular in my loft. I may consider selling it if I can be bothered to get it down.

You can't go wrong with an i5 2500k, say 160 for the cpu, 100 for a motherboard, 40 quid for 8gb ram, 60 quid for a 64gb m4 ssd for the os and 80 for a psu.

That would be 440, then say 200 for a gpu and you've got a very good rig.

You would just need to pick a case and a cheapish cpu cooler (stock would do for the minute).
I tried this last night with a few places an ended up over £800. I must be doing something wrong :eek:

Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail = £167.99
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard = £144.98
OCZ ZX Series 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply = £124.99
Fractal Design Define XL USB3.0 Full Tower Case - Black Pearl = £114.98
Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator CPU Cooler = £72.98
Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 = £46.99 x 2 = £93.98

Total: £719.92

Last edited:

Dazimus

Woah, do you really need a £114 case?

And £72 for a CPU cooler?!

£93 for 8GB RAM? Where the hell are you shopping?!

Edit: Actually, that's for 16GB I think?

You can get a Z68 motherboard for £75 or so. And I've got a Coolermaster Hyper 212 CPU cooler that cost £20 and works really well.

Last edited:

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
I tried this last night with a few places an ended up over £800. I must be doing something wrong :eek:

Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail = £167.99
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard = £144.98
OCZ ZX Series 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply = £124.99
Fractal Design Define XL USB3.0 Full Tower Case - Black Pearl = £114.98
Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator CPU Cooler = £72.98
Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 = £46.99 x 2 = £93.98

Total: £719.92
Well you could get it for less but the components youve picked are decent so its a case of if you want to skimp on some stuff you can, for example that cooler is one of the best air coolers there is, you could easily get away with a lot less, if you want to...

Status
Not open for further replies.