1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC gaming online

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Munkey Boy, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I'd be interested to find out where people do their online PC gaming... I reckon I'll be getting BF Vietnam today, but remember from the last PC game I tried online, it can be notoriously difficult to find a good server.

I'm not the worlds greatest twitch shooter, but enjoy a bit of strategy in my FPSs every now and then. If anyone could point me in the direction of a server that isn't full of 12 year olds who reckon its the height of comedy to have slanging matches about whos the gayest player, I'd be grateful.

At the mo, I tend to just use Gamespy Arcade to seek out servers, and filter off any that aren't UK.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I play a lot online especially the last year or so now I have broad band. I mostly enjoy the following games (in order of preference):-

Hidden & Dangerous 2 ( WWII many styles of play -deathmatch, occupation, coop missions etc) Also has an excellent single player campaign:)
    BlackHawk Down (Modern day weapons and huge maps)
    Rainbow 6 Ravensheild (Coop antiterrorist shenanigans)
    Quake III Arena
    UT2003

looking forward to Far cry too which is out next week:) (£17.99 at blackstar).
    I prefer the slower more tactical side of multiplayer. Quake and UT2003 are good for a quick fix but I prefer something more accurately based in the real world. H&D 2 is exceptional imo the level of detail of weapons and uniforms is superb.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Sorry - didn't phrase my question too well - can anyone name the servers they use for online PC gaming, eg. Blueyonder/Jolt/some small private server run by some bloke in a darkened bedroom... etc. Cheers!

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I haven't really played much FPs recently, but I used to play a lot on jolt. The server I would reguarly play on had lots of people who were also regulars there.

Occasionally would use Blueyonder, but I found the players there far more immature and I also saw more use of bots on there (which was not much mind).

This was all based around CS.....

Generally when I do pop on a FPS for online gaming I usually use Jolt.

I also use Gamespy 3d for FPS games not arcade.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    For hidden and dangerous I usually host my own games:)

The server is called "priv8pile's obstacle course" if your ever up for a game give me a buzz:)

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I think Wireplay are still in business, used to use them a while back for Counterstrike and Day of Defeat, but not sure if they will have servers for BF Vietnam, but i'm sure their site will have the info

7. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Have they release patches to enable co-op now?
    (sorry for taking topic ot)

8. Bondy007

Bondy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Play a bit of FPS games online and usually come across those "12 year olds who reckon its the height of comedy to have slanging matches about whos the gayest player" on public servers such as the afformentioned jolt.

I tend to find that servers owned and run by some of the more respected clans are full of mature players. Most of whom just want to shoot people, run around and have a good measure of teamwork thrown in.

If FPS with a slight stratigical element is your thing you should take a look at Enemy Territory (the sequel'ish to RTCW). It's a free download due to single player part of it being ditched, but the multiplayer is complete (and lots of fun).

http://enemy-territory.4players.de:1041/modules.php?name=Downloads

If you do get this then the BiO clan server is the best UK server, if you can get on it that is ;) (and I would practice alot before going on that server if you've not played ET / RTCW before)

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Coop in terms of one group defend an area trying to counter the other team from completing set missions and co-operating in occupation to gain ground etc. Not coop in the sense of ravensheild where you work together to complete the sp missions.

hope that makes sense:confused:

10. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    lol,yeah I know what you mean.I leant my copy to a m8 a while ago,so havent played it for a bit.I was dissapointed when they didnt include the co-op when game was released,but remember them assuring everyone that it would be included in forthcoming patched over the next few months.

Looks like they were lying through their teeth again,just as they did when they released Mafia:nono:

Its a shame cos I think H+d2 would be awsome with a few m8s working together on maps like spaghetti airport!

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I use The All Seeing Eye. Supports most FPS and has access to the majority of servers. Its win 32 so easy to use.

Always find low ping servers with plenty of players. There was a free trial which I am using, not sure if this is still the case.

My current PC favorites are

- DOD (Is there anything better ?????)
    - Call of Duty

And Xbox via Xbconnect

- Halo
    - Crimson Skys

Waiting for HL2.......:rolleyes:

12. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Like Harrisuk i use All Seeing Eye. It's supposed to be a trial but you kust keep clicking ignore on the out of dtae warnings and it keeps working. Not ideal if you have Steam installed for Halflife though i believe.
    All i play these days is DOD and there's a great English based clan in Yorkshire i think {YAH} which is a good laugh.
    Got Battlefield Nam the other day and laggy and buggy as hell i found so gone off that already.

General Panic

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well amazingly General Panic, not only do we both play dod but I also have an LG Plasma (17) and Xbox. So we have a pretty similar setup.

Its a small world. I just got a projector so Dod will shortly being making a more life size appearance 6ft wide :rolleyes:

What a great game. OK the engine is ancient now but it still looks good and the playability is still to be bettered in my opinion.

Though Call of Duty could be a replacement but its just not the same. Although the graphics are better the movement feels clunky and unrealistic.

I keep leaving Dod and comming back to it. It just seems unreplacable at the moment.

14. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sincere apoliges for the abysmal spelling there. :)

Panic

15. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been playing Dod since version 1.0 and nothing like you say comes close to it. Curtains closed , lights out sound pumped up i find it's still the best WW2 online experience. BF1942 has it's moments as well though as a bit of a laugh.
    DOD on a 6 foot view ! bloody hell :)

Panic

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have been playing it from the start as well. I hope they dont cock up the HL2 engine so DOD can make the transition....

You every played it on your Plasma. Never managed to do it myself. I guess it would be pretty cool at that size as well :)

I cant wait to get it on the Projector. The dam room is still not ready :(

17. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Did try it on the plasma but it's too pixilated for close up shooting work. Also a problem with my keyboard/mouse setup on my lazy-boy recliner :) no comfortable shooting position , lol.
    Got big hopes for HL2 mods , should be (touch wood) really smooth as you say if they don't cock it up. They've had plenty time though to iron out any problems in the months gone by.

Panic

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yea the 800 - 600 res is a problem with most plasma displays.
    My Panny ae500 does 1280 x 1240. Should be enough although I am currently running dod @ 1600 x 1400 or something like that on my 21" CRT. Its a step backwards but a sacrifice I am willing to take !

I came up with a solution to the lounge fps scenario. Purchased a height adustable bed table from ebay for £30 delivered.

Perfect desk over your arm chair, pretty dam stable. Its never going to be as good as in front of your pc monitor but a good laugh when you have your mates round.

What clan are you in ? Looking for any new members. I`m good :)

As regards the mods I believe Valve have taken the editor capabilities to another level. They have realised that the mods gave the game a shelf life long beyond the expected and have spent a fortune on developing the next editor for HL2.

The question is will the DOD team want to port it. The Guys who did this mod must have themselves good jobs as developers on the back of DOD surely. Its amazing the number of people who are still playing this.

19. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been in 3 clans over the years , 2 American ones that didn't work to well with the time difference and one in Germany. The German one was brill and it helped improve my German swear word vocabulary but didn't work out so i've been clanless for ages now. What online name do you use? i'll keep an eye/ear open.
    My stoopid desk top TFT screen , which is also an LG one only goes up to 1024*768 :( , i think on my next pc upgrade i'll go back to a decent CRT screen.

Panic

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    harrisuk

21. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I'm glad it's not just me that spend the small hours fighting WWII across the UK and Europe. I love H&D2 and particularly like the occupation game play. I recently discovered the pleasure of Bazooka jousting on the Czech map.