1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc Games On A Laptop?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by gbmitie, Jan 1, 2004.

1. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    is it possible to play pc games on a laptop and if it is, is it a worthwhile experience? Or would I be better off getting a big monitor and docking station etc etc?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

happy new year

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it does tend to be more expensive to upgrade components inside a laptop, to improve them for gaming. but if its a decent set up already then go ahead but you may want to use an external mouse as using ones in the middle of the keypads can get annoying.
    :)

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,826
    It depends on the games, the laptop and where you plan to play.

If you have an Alienware ninja rig, then pretty much any games are playable.

If you want to play sitting on your sofa, you need to think about what sort of mouse to use, whether you want headphones, etc. (I use a MS Trackball which is good when used to it).

If you aren't planning to play demanding games, then most laptops are capable of things like Championship Manager 03/04, Diablo II, Medieval Total War, etc., with varying degrees of compromise.

4. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can... If you get your hands on a notebook with M10 (Radeon Mobile 9600 Pro) video card, you can play pretty much anything!

5. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been playing Half Life on my Dell Celeron 2Ghz laptop and it ran perfectly. I know it's an old game but definately one that's good to wap on a laptop that may not be cutting edge.

6. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I play games on my Dell Inspiron 5100, its not bad i bought a mouse straight away and have it sat at a computer desk all the time, (Dam fan underneath) i play Half life, Red Faction, Starwars Jedi Knight 2 etc and its ok. Not much memory tho so i can only have a couple of games installed at a time. Just bought a keyboard wich makes it more comfortable playing games and typing etc so i dont have to sit right up to the computer as much, and because the laptop keyboards swimming in Vodka!! and when one keys pressed down it presses another down with it. Ooops :zonked: 100 or so quid for a new one so bugger that! :eek:

Personaly i wish i'd bought a desktop!

7. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    thanks for that, I can see what u mean and will have a long think before rushing in.

gbmitey

8. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Basically its all about graphics with laptops and their TFT screens. As long as you have decent processor 1800+ ish and at least 256Mb ram thats a good starter. However tou need powerful graphics and shared graphics are no good becuase they use system memory. A radeon 9600 really is a good safe bet, a 9200 is a bit old and long in the tooth now.

The other issue is the screen. TFT's have a response time int eh time taken to change the image on the screen, often it is slow or cheaper laptops. You can buy TFTs for PC's with 16Ms response times (about the best) but the average is 25Ms (can be touch and go for fast action graphics) Laptops can be worse with repsonse times of around 35Ms. At the end of the day, you have to consider how serious the gaming will be and always remember that desktops make upgrading 10 x easier.

9. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    thanks davo that is a really informative post

gb--

10. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing i forgot to mention. The result of slow response times is blurring. Often called ghosting (is that spelt correct?). Generally though all modern laptops are suitable for occasional gaming.