PC games cost more?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Abupa, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Abupa

Abupa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi,

I'm planning on making the switch from console to pc in the near future. Before I'm buying it, I want to do a lot of research on how a pc works and how you can build one.

I still see a drawback though that I haven't come across on the internet yet. On my ps4 I can practically game for free. I buy a game second hand, finish it in a short time before the price drops, and then sell it again for the same price! This saves me a lot of money. Also I don't play online yet, so the only expense was the console, which I have used since launch. Atm I only play rpg's or other story based games.

With pc gaming this isn't possible right? I only see digital copies of games, so I can't sell them. The argument here that pc games are a lot cheaper doesn't hold up for me. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    2. Toasty

Toasty
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,042
      When you say practically free, you probably spend more than you think. Take a look on Steam and the humble bundles, plenty of cheap and free games to choose from and if you like RPG and story games, far more choice spanning decades of gaming goodness. You'll pay more if you want games on release, but that's true of console too, in fact more so. I'd more be asking yourself how much you want to spend on the base kit..

3. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,607
      You're right, theres no second hand market for PC gaming so you cant buy a game and then play it as fast as you can and get most of your money back trading it in. So if doing that is a must then moving to the digital age and PC gaming is not for you.

As above there are humble bundles and things like that though if you want some cheap games (most of which are rubbish).

4. Toasty

Toasty
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,042
      You may have a better trade system where you are than the UK, very difficult to get that sort of turnaround with the likes of Cex and Game over here. I've been through that loop over the years and it's getting harder and harder to make anywhere near your money back, in fact, sometimes digital is flat out cheaper than the depreciation of traded game.

TBH, you should keep your PS4 if you like AAAs such as tlou..

5. Abupa

Abupa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Yes, that's why I'll wait a couple of months before making a decision. One reason for buying it is that I will maybe like other type of games, i've never tried it.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible in the uk to buy a game second hand and sell it for maybe 5 euro's less in two weeks. As long as the second hand prices stay the same for two weeks, you have no problem.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +10,472
      I can see you are a relatively new member, but please do not discuss illegal activities. Thanks.

7. Abupa

Abupa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the input. One last question: does anyone have tips on the most efficient way of learning everything there is about pc gaming? Mainly on how it works and how to make the best buy. Right now I'm watching Youtube videos.

8. Toasty

Toasty
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,042
      No, the trade market is not good now. The only way to get half decent prices is if you get store credit. Which means you have to buy the next game from them and pre-owned prices can be the same if not more than new prices from an online store. Its real hard work for little gain.

If you want a pc to try different game types, I can whole heartedly recommend that. I play such a variety of games on PC for peanuts, its brilliant.

9. Thug

Thug
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,268
      Not sure PC gaming will be for you.
      A PC is a money pit and you will most likely pay more for just the graphics card than on a full gaming system like an Xbox or PS.
      A PC isn't really 'plug and play' either, as there are more issues and frustrations due to game makers having to get their software working on multiple machine with an infinite combination of hardware, where making games for the Xbox or PS is easier as all the hardware is the same.
      Then there are drivers that need updating or viruses to contend with.
      Most games no are digital and once you have bought it that's it, its yours to keep and not share/sell.
      RPS or story based games are probably better on a gaming system too, rather than a PC. A PC really shines with FPS where you can use a mouse and keyboard, or racing games using VF, steering wheel and a gaming chair, where you can download fan made tracks and custom cars etc.

Having said al that, I much prefer PC gaming as I like to use mouse and keyboard.

10. GMC79

GMC79
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,106
      I was never a trader to be honest i remember having 120+ on the shelf in the early 360 days [emoji23] why not use a rental service? I did for couple years after buying way too much it was excellent or is that too costly?lol

But the thought of having rush thru games just to trade them asap has no appeal at all for me. Love the pc format with steam etc, can't be beaten imo.

11. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,472
      Agree to a point, but you paint quite a bad picture for the PC.
      I can’t recall the last time I had to mess about to get anything working, never had a virus and with everything self updating via Nvidia, Steam etc most games are pretty much install and play.

12. aslird

aslird
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,201
      Do not forget about subscription services such as Origin Access - £4 a month for unlimited play of many AAA and indie titles, even relatively recent games such as Mass Effect Andromeda and Battlefield One.

13. Abupa

Abupa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I'm pretty sure this would be the case for me. I have a tendency to like expensive things and wanting to upgrade very often (hifi audio). But I don't mind, as long as I acknowledge this pitfall and don't forget to just enjoy the experience.

Maybe it's best if I wait a year before buying a pc. The main reason for buying a pc is having high frame rate and having the best graphics. I only want a pc if it's noticeably better than the best console (xbox one x) for something like 1500-2000 euro's. Right now, this doesn't seem to be the case. It sort of feels like a waste of money to buy a 1500 euro pc, which will only be as good or just a bit better than a 500 euro console.. Other than that, I would have to buy a gaming chair, monitor, and a mouse and keyboard (which I don't want to skimp on money wise). Also I read that the prices of some pc parts (gpu) are high right now because of mining.

How long do you guys think before a pc will be a big step up from the xbox one x for something like 1500 euro's (graphic's and frame rate wise
      )? Will a year make a difference?
      For now I will keep my console. I don't have enough money yet and I have a nice tv that would become obsolete with a pc.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    14. Delvey

Delvey
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,692
      Save yourself even more and pay £20 for the year.
      Then their are games such as trackmania which are free and hours of fun.

15. aslird

aslird
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,201
      Yep, I forgot about the yearly option :)

16. Thug

Thug
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,268
      Totally agree with you.
      I have never had a virus for about 14 years or more. I too never have issues anymore, but did have a few with games crashing in the past.
      Yes games and hardware do auto update so all good there too.
      My reasoning was to a user new to pc gaming and not a vetaran gamer who knows what to do (and not do).
      You have to be prepared that it may not be as smooth running as a console.
      It’s not just the hardware you have to buy too, there is also windows which isn’t cheap and about the price of a second hand console alone.

I don’t want to paint a bad picture of pc gaming as it’s how I prefer it, just trying to be honest.

17. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,607
      Xbox Games Pass and EA Pass on Xbox are all you'll need. Forget about the money pit PC and the endless days and nights of fiddling with drivers, settings etc etc. Save your money and get an Xbox S, in the Black Friday sales i'm sure something less than £200 will pop up too.

18. Abupa

Abupa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I have a ps4 now, which I'll keep for console.
      Here in the Netherlands we don't have something like Black Friday.

19. messenger

messenger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +196
      It sounds like you've already made your mind up so stick with your ps4!

Can you inform us where you trade in your games as I'm dying to know what shop(s) sell new/second hand console games then allow you trade it back in for the same price it was sold to you. That's not really business is it?

Your argument doesn't hold up mate.

20. Abupa

Abupa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      For the moment I'm keeping my console, yes. I'm planning on buying a pc in the near future. But I'm still not sure how long I have to wait for it to really be worth it (1500 euro pc being a substantial upgrade over the xbox one x).

I didn't mean to imply that I bought the second hand games at a store. I meant that I buy them at a second hand market (online site) where people sell their stuff to each other (including games). When buying them second hand at an actual store, yes, you lose money, I agree with that.

21. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,472
      Definitely, agree with you there too. For a cost comparison, a console will win every time. But for those of us in the PC master race, it's not about cost. :rotfl:

The only annoyance I've found with consoles is the annoying habit of wanting to do a massive update as soon as you first turn it on, which if you have a very slow internet connection can take the shine off the present on Christmas morning. Same with some of the games, despite buying the boxed version it will still want to do a massive update when you insert the disc. But the PC is no different in that regard either I suppose.

22. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,607
      I've not seen firmware or many updates happen to force me to wait for quite a while TBH. I've set the console to do that in sleep mode so its done through the night.

23. Delvey

Delvey
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,692
      Cannot remember the last time I had to faff around with drivers or settings.
      Last major thing I had to do was upgrade to windows 10. And as to money pit, my old lga1366 set up with a 7970 still plays most things on medium. I imagine it's getting close to being a decade old now.
      Does sound like a console would better suit him however.

24. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,607
      Me either but that still seems to be the classic excuse that still gets pulled out. Sick of trying to correct peoples view on that so just don't bother and let them stick to the 90's views of PC gaming. Along with can't be used in the living room and can only use K/M to play anything.

25. Thug

Thug
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,268
      Depends what you play. It has to be keyboard and mouse for first person shooters, flight stick for flying games and steering wheel etc for racing games.
      I also have VR and use an Xbox remote for some games and touch controls for other games.
      I feel as though pc gaming is more for the serious gamer where consoles are for the enthusiast gamer.
      As I said, if you console game fairly trouble free, then update to the newer console 3 or 4 years down the line. But if you want to PC game then you won’t be able to as simply. Every year a more demanding game will come out requiring an update of some hardware. Ok you could run on a lower setting but usually pc gamers want the best graphics on the largest resolution because (to me) that’s what a pc is all about.
      If you are going to stick with the same hardware for a decade then maybe a console is better for you where all software is optimised for it.

26. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,607
      IF you buy high end to begin with you'll be good for a few years TBH. My 980ti is still going strong, getting 60FPS maxxed out in Destiny 2 at 1440p :) DOubt i'll upgrade from that until 4K 60fps maxxed out with room to spare is a reality on 1 card.

I play 99% of my games on PC with a controller so other controllers aren't an issue. I use the Razer Nostromo for K/M games like MMo's. Its a great hybrid.

27. CraigofScotland

CraigofScotland

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +856
      My PS4 updates more than my pc. . its not 2001 anymore.

As for OP .. if the monetary value of the game is the only consideration, theres arguments for pc v console. Then also consider you will need to pay to play online on console.
      Pc will have better graphics and good and proper mod support. These are value added items.

28. Thug

Thug
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,268
      You can’t have much on your pc then.
      Every time I fire up steam there is an update. Ok it’s seamless and quick, but it’s always updating (which is a good thing).

I don’t MP on console at all (in fact I hardly ever play console and still use a PS3 mainly for blu rays) so can’t comment on how it updates.

29. Abupa

Abupa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      The expenses of games was one consideration, but I got an answer for it.
      My main question now is: How much do I need to spend on a pc to have significantly better hardware than the xbox one x? I want a high end pc that is a big step up from the one x. This is my main point, or else it won't be worth it for me. I want 120 fps, 1440p and high settings (maybe not ultra).

And how much difference would it make if I wait a year?

Thanks for the replies so far! I probably won't aks more questions than this, or it will become a whole other thread on itself..

30. aslird

aslird
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,201
      A high end PC will cost you in the region of £1500 - that is a GTX 1080, core i7 cpu, 16gb (or 32gb) of ram, good quality motherboard and PSU.
      That will outperform an xbox X easily, will probably outperform a PS5, XBOX Y or whatever they will call the next one as well.
      If you wait a year, of course the prices will have gone down, but then the next generation of GPU's etc will be released. The beauty of PC gaming is that you can just upgrade if you feel the need for it, and all your games will still work.