1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc game prices vs console game prices

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Miyazaki, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Hi,

I always notice that when a game is released over multi-formats, the PC version is always £5-£10 cheaper than the console versions.

Anyone know why this is? It's just something that doesn't seem right to me, especially for a multi-format title.

Cheers, Guru

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Generally more expensive on console because Sony/Nintendo take a cut for use on their platforms. Also the fact that consle manufactures don't make much profit on the actual console themselves they recoupe their losses by charging more for games.Pc games not only retail for less you can get more for your money too. On certain games they're only similar in name only the contents are sometimes different due to the limited processing power of consoles. (Vice city is a good example of how a console game has been improved over their console brothers) It can work the other way though a good example being the latest bond title- a lot of the driving side was missed out on the pc version which was a shame.

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, with some PC games like Morrowind, you get the construction set (editor) with the game, which isn't included in the console version.

For me, since my PC is pretty powerful, I choose the PC version for any cross-platform games. The only exceptions are for games that:

1) Are very arcadey (ie, fit to the console controller nicely)
    2) Are multiplayer party games (eg, Timesplitters)
    3) Are significantly better in the console format, due to porting

On the other hand, PC games have to be patched, which can be a pain in the butt, especially if the game is a few years old and the company has shut down their FTP sites out of the blue. (3DO, I'm looking at you!)

4. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Competition among PC games retailers is pretty fierce and games are marked down before they hit the shelves.