PC freezes overnight and won't wake up

motionman

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's been cold here in the UK for a bit but my PC has also taken freezing! I usually leave my PC running when I've done with it for the day. I'm not sure if this a good idea or not. However, it's generally worked for me. Of late when I come to wake it up the following day, which I did with a wiggle of the mouse, it has frozen and I maybe get a click or two of the mouse but basically, it's dead. I can only restart it by powering it off and on again.

Recent history: I have had a resources issue recently so I have freed up some space on my HDD by deleting some apps. I have also recently updated my graphics card driver. However, the problem of overnight freezing was happening before this. I'm thinking of getting an SSD as a boot drive so leaving my HDD for storage.

Can anyone help to crack this issue, please?

I'm running Windows 10 Home 64bt. 16Gb RAM and an Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.9GHz.

I maybe get a click or two of the mouse but basically, it's dead.

Can you expand on this?

Are you saying it's not frozen when you come to it but wakes up, restores the screen and you can move the cursor briefly before it freezes?

Personally if I were the OP I'd do the SSD upgrade in conjunction with a fresh install of Windows. I'd suggest it's quite likely to resolve the waking issues and at the very least makes booting up quick enough to not particularly matter anyway.

Thanks for your replies.

The usual thing I see is the screen that I left when I used the PC last on which I can click but not see a response other than maybe a red 'close' X turning grey and occasionally an all-black screen which is unresponsive.

Thanks for the post SSD advice. Is a fresh install possible without losing data? Don't think that I have done one before.

Hibernation is quite sensitive to disk space shortages, so I'm inclined to think this may be the cause of your problem. Still, you could try this first. Open a command prompt as administrator

type powercfg.exe -h off

reboot your machine

open a command prompt as administrator

type powercfg.exe -h on

Let us know if this helps.

I would also run the power troubleshooter
start>settings>update and security>troubleshoot.. additional troubleshooters>power
That might be able to find/correct the problem
HTH

Thanks for the post SSD advice. Is a fresh install possible without losing data? Don't think that I have done one before.
You can do a windows 10 refresh and keep your data - photos, documents etc. on your original drive and then clone that to the SSD
Start>settings>update and security>recovery>refresh>keep files. You may still have to reinstall any additional programs antivirus software etc though. You would then use a cloning app to migrate everything onto the SSD

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom