pc for video editing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by takis11, Dec 1, 2004.

1. takis11

takis11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am thonking of bying a new pc with an amd 3000+ s754. Can you tell me please if this system is good enough for video editing? is there someone using the same processor?

2. xbiggy

xbiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use an amd 3200xp+ with a gig of ddr memory with a geforce 5900xt and find it more than good enough for me just make sure you have at least a gig of ddr memory and a big hard drive depending what sort of length movie/video you editing.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Well I agree that a 3Ghz processor is more than powerful enough for editing, I only use a P4 1.8Ghz.
    1Gb of RAM would make the PC fly when editing, but you could easily get away with 512Mb or even at a push 256Mb (depending on software you use).
    I would suggest that you get 2 HDDs. The first one should have the OS and all other software and the second should only be used for the capture & editing files. Don't even install the editing software on there. DV footage takes approx 14Gb per hour and then you need more space for editing and file conversion. I always look at every hour of footage I edit will need approx 30Gb of space to make sure I have plenty spare. So make sure you get as a minimum a 120Gb drive as you will soon eat all that space up.

Mark.

4. xbiggy

xbiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    think 256meg pushing it if it will be used on windows xp as that in itself eats memory but good advice about the seperate hdds.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Well I did say 'at a push' as it will work, just very slowly! It is then only a fairly cheap & simple upgrade when funds allow.

My current editing PC was supplied with only 512Mb and was ok, but when I upgraded to 1Gb of RAM it really started to fly when rendering etc. I think unless a large jump in processor is being considered then memory will give the biggest improvement in performance of any upgrade for editing. For this reason I would always recommend spending a little more money and getting 1Gb of RAM and perhaps a slightly lower spec processor if funds are tight.

Mark.

6. Daverey2

Daverey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've just made my first DVD on my PC. I have a AMD 2400Mhz processor and 512Mb of RAM (I think, although am not very technically minded and my Dad built the PC). I am running Win2000 and Pinnacle Studio 9 SE.

The movie I made was nothign fancy and had about 150 scenes with transitions between each one, and a menu with some sound. Its just over an hour long, but took about 3 hours to render.

I'm sure it could have been done much much quicker on a faster machine, but then if you leave it on over night to render you dont know the difference anyway.

Dave