• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC for lounge doesn't need to be high spec

GrantDB

Standard Member
I am after a PC\Media PC that doesn't need to be a great spec, but I have have some particular requirements. My requirements are as follows
  • It will be in the lounge so will need to be quiet
  • Main use will be with with online music services (Spotify, Napster), checking email and general media playing
  • I will want to connect the PC to an amplifier of some kind so that I can output the PC sound to more than one set of speakers (lounge and kitchen for example, thinking one set will be wireless). I am up for buying a new amplifier and speakers as the one I have now is quite old (over 10 years)
  • We will connect it to out tv (has the appropriate slots hdmi, momitor etc - it is a Samsung), so I don't need a monitor etc
  • We will beusing Virgin media for most TV usage (although will probably want record some movies, but not many). We will connect the PC to Virgin internet
  • We will watch DVDs through the PC, but not a large number
  • Wireless keyboard
  • I wont be gaming or doing anything pc intensive
I have previously has an Acer 510 Aspire, apart from being of a poor quality (I had all the power supply problems that people mention) I never really used the freeview functionality etc

I have seen reviews of the Asus Eee type PCs that seem a good option.

Money wise, I don't want to spend more than £300 or so on the PC bit, with the amplifier\speakers on top of that

I also want to be able to remote desktop to the system through another device (a tablet). I have this idea of being able to control the main PC from the kitchen. I just mention this in case some has done this before

So, has anyone got any suggestions on the sort of PC I should be looking at?

Thanks

Grant

RoadBlock2000

Standard Member
I have both the Acer Revo & Zotac ZBox. Both are Intel Atom based machines with NVIDIA ION graphics.

They are tiny boxes & both have been attached to the back of TV/Monitors using the VESA mount. They will tick all the boxes except DVD playback as they do NOT have drives. You could always add a USB drive or rip your DVDs.

Both should come in under your budget but the Zotac ZBox is a 'build your own' so you will need to supply HDD, Memory, Keyboard/Mouse, & OS.

They are not power houses & I find the menu navigation (Windows 7 Media Centre) a little slow but they play video without any issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom