PC for i'net/music/pics only - no video

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by patwestlake, Feb 11, 2009.

1. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking to get internet access for the new tv, but won't need it for gaming or for video playback (except iPlayer). Key features;

Always on - so quiet and low power consumption
    wireless networking preferably n flavoured
    video good enough to view pictures on the 42" above it

I guess that HDMI connectivity will give me the best quality for still pictures (rather than VGA)

A variation would be that this would also serve music to the rest of the network via firefly, so 500GB HDD would be the target storage (though this could also be via USB and external)

Cheers, Pat

2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    HDMI comes with it's own issues and you will probably find that VGA may in fact give you better quality (TV will just then become a monitor). It does depend on how your TV handles VGA input as some do not allow VGA input at the native res which can reduce picture quality.

As regards PC. If you don't need video then just about anything will do. The choices are really down to how much you want to spend and looks.

I would certainly look at the mini-ITX boards. The Atom boards are cheap, low powered and will do the job but do have a 40mm fan so might need a little tweaking if you want silent.

KustomPCs.co.uk - Intel BLKD945GCLF2 (Dual Core Atom2 1.6Ghz CPU) is £74 for dual core or
    KustomPCs.co.uk - Intel D945GCLF Fan Cooled (Atom 1.6Ghz CPU) is £57 for single core
    just add RAM, a HDD, a case and OS and you are good to go.

The EPIA boards are silent and will also do the job but cost a little more
    LinITX.com - Fanless Mini-ITX
    has lots of fanless boards.

One of the main things to consider is case. This is probably where most your budget will end up going and will also determine which components you can use.

The links above will take you to some Mini-ITX cases.

If you go down another route it is going to be more powerful but cost more and give you more issues with power consumption and cooling.

As above, for a low spec machine, start with the case and work from there