1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Editing and graphics card

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by theoldbill, Dec 27, 2003.

1. theoldbill

theoldbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've had my Sony PC8 for a while now and have just got the opportunity to upgrade my home PC so that I'll be able to edit my stuff.

My brother is building the new PC for me but he doesn't know much about camcorder editing. (I know very little about either subject...)

He wants to know if I need a new graphics card to edit my camcorder stuff.

I don't intend to do a lot of editing, cutting or special effects etc, just mainly to copy what is on DV tape directly to CD.

Can anyone help us with this? I really want to get my new all powerful PC built by Tuesday but I need to clarify the graphics card issue.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Most, if not all, of the current SVGA graphics cards are more than adequate for video editing. You only need specific models if going for dedicated hardware capture cards that need to be matched to the graphics. I assume that you will have a standard OHCI firewire card and therefore if you can use it for everything else you want to do on the PC then it will be fine for editing.

Mark.

3. theoldbill

theoldbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers Mark,

Have to admit that it doesn't mean a lot to me but I'm sure it'll point my brother in the right direction.

I don't play any games on the PC, it'll just be used for the net and camcorder editing.