PC EDID Issues Samsung PS51D550

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by junpit, Dec 22, 2011.

1. junpit

junpit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I've got an issue I can't seem to get around.

On connecting my XBMC shuttle to my TV, I only get 2 channel sound.
    This looks like its down to the EDID the TV is sending to the PC and its refusing to let me send anything but 2.0 to the TV. This would normally be OK but I want to capture the 5.1 output from the TV (optical out) with my amp.

Does anyone have an inf file I could use to trick the PC into sending 5.1 or 7.1.

I have tried playing content on the samsung TV using the PC (by running mezzmo) but its nowhere near as good as my shuttle. For some reason the mkvs seems a little choppy over the network which is gigabit lan.

Any help with any of these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

2. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    thats not an EDID issue at all, both items are functioning exactly as intended.

The tv as far as I know is not able to act like a daisychain so no your pc cant output 5.1 or 7.1 to a source that doesnt have that amount of speakers.

If you have a 7.1 avr, then you will have hdmi inputs and an output, so why not simply connect the pc to the AVR and then the AVR to the TV like its intended?

If its not a 7.1 AVR or HD Audio ready, why not just run the optical cable directly from the PC to the AVR- again, just like is intended?

3. junpit

junpit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It does do this. If I play a blu-ray from my 3d player, it sends full surround to the TV which I then forward to my optical only denon amp. This works perfectly. This is also true for my 360.

Ive got a denon AVR-770 which doesn't do hdmi. Its got optical and co-axial inputs.

The PC is a fantastic unit (but does not have optical out). It only hdmi out. Its a shuttle XS35GTV2 running xbmc. Its does 1080p mkv without breaking a sweat but is refusing to send 7,1 or 5.1 to my TV as detailed.

If I can't get around this, I'll have to consider buying a 7.1 or 5.1 usb device which does optical out.

Thanks

Darren

4. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Hmm interesting to hear the tv can do it with another device.

Hmm, right so with it connected in its current form- have you actually gone into windows audio settings and seen if that allows you to select 5.1? Once windows has been set for it xbmc should allow you to.

Otherwise you're right it is an EDID thing but I wouldn't say it's an "issue", it's just not doing quite what you want.

Have you also put the pc into the inputs that your 360 and 3d bluray player are connected to to see if that makes any change?

5. junpit

junpit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi.

Windows is refusing to play ball. Thats where the problem lies. All of the HDMI cables are the same. I swapped a few around to see if it makes a difference. I need the TV to say the right things to the PC or I need to fool it somehow maybe with a different inf.

-Darren

6. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Sorry, no im not suggesting you switch around the HDMI cables, but switch HDMI INPUTS on the tv- again this shouldnt make a difference but it is best to try all options.

I assume you have 100% confirmed your PC is capable of outputting 5.1 on another amp for example? Are you certain you have the drivers on the PC all up to date?

Otherwise unfortunately EDID is a highly complex thing and I doubt there is anyone on here that could make you the correct type of coding to overcome it, it would be far simpler to get an additional sound card with its own optical out Im afraid...

Or take the opportunity to upgrade your amp to being HD ready, you can get some that are cheap as chips on the classifieds nower days ;)

7. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Oh and sorry just to Add, EDID on computers heavily rely on the order in which things are turned on.

So turn on your setup in various different orders and see if there is one which works by chance

ie, avr (stright to right input), tv, pc

pc, avr, tv
    tv, pc, avr

etc etc

I believe when I had problems years ago it worked out best that it went PC, AVR, TV- but thats because my PC went straight to the AVR.

Just play around and see what happens :)