1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC DVI to Tosh 32WL48

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by brakepad, Dec 20, 2004.

1. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After firmly deciding to get a Sharp LC32GA4E it would seem that it's now time to select an alternative, & the 32WL48 seems like the next best thing (I'll have to live with not being able to remove the speakers).

I wish to drive the TV at 1366x768 (or as close as I can get) from my PC's DVI connection to the HDMI connector on the Tosh with no analogue stages of any kind.

Has anybody had any luck doing this, and what type of converter(s) do you need to go from DVI to HDMI?

Is there any way to download the instruction manual for the 32WL48, all I can find is the brochure...

2. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  3. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that link nemo, sadly the manual isn't particularly technical. It appears that the display will only handle upto 1024x768 via the PC analogue input, but there is no mention of whether it will take a native 1366x768 signal via the HDMI connector.

I understand that the DVI signal is directly compatible with the video portion of the HDMI connector and that leads/adaptors are available, now I just need to hear from somebody who has managed to get this to work.

Is it just me, or is it a complete waste of time not for an LCD TV not to support a PC input at the native resolution of the panel? It seems that only the Sharp's have a PC compatible digital input coupled with sensible options like '1:1 Pixel Mapping' and a reasonable price tag. It's not exactly rocket science, is it?

4. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    its not just you, i was after the sharp as for the same reasons. but since no one has confirmed it will fully support a pc via hdmi i am now tempted to go a rear projection tv. ive still not made my mind up. but it is crap that so few support the full res via hdmi

5. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Even Sharp doesn't get it correct - they don't have the full screen mode present in the EDID - the handshake between the computer and screen. And that should have been REALLY trivial to include. What computer LCD doesn't include the full screen 1:1 mode in its EDID!!??

You might not be able to drive the toshiba at 1366x768 via DVI. You should be able to do it at 1280x720, since this is the same as 720p, and the screen will then scale it up for you, which is exactly what you don't want for readable computer text!

I don't understand why manufacturers are doing 1366x768, and not providing correct support for it. Why not stick to 1280x720, which is also more easily supported by graphics cards, and avoids scaling from 720p sources? (Rant, rant, rant!)

James

6. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    i see your point. when my 8 year old tompson 32" widescreen crt tv of 8 yyears diead i did not think 3 months down the line i still would be having problems deciding which one is best for me.