1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC DVI to PJ HDMI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PC_112, May 14, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am planning to connect a PC (GeForce 6600 Graphics card - DVI out) with a projector that supports HDMI.

When I was looking into Plasma TVs I found out that Pioneer 435 could not be connected to a PC with its HDMI port (in a straight forward way at least)
    Do projectors like Sanyo Z3 or Panasonic AE700 have similar problems?

What I want is to simply get a DVI cable, a DVI to HDMI converter, connect the PC to a 1280x720 projector and get 1:1 pixel match so the projector will function just like a monitor. (without any cropping or any other problems).

2. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
  3. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC_112, i do exactly this using a sanyo z3 and is pixel prefect.

4. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks.

So what should I use? A DVI cable with an HDMI adapter, or an HDMI cable with a DVI adapter?

5. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    go with the HDMI cable, then if you go down the standalone DVD player route you don't need to buy another cable

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    PC_112

The cable you use is in a way irrelevant - its the ability of your PC to Output a signal that's compatible with the HDMI Input that can cause problems.

HDMI is a Video connector and as such the majority of HDMI sockets have Firmware that works with Video signals - 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p and 1080i; though check the specs of whatever projector your considering.

The Pioneer XDE TV has all of the above signal compatibility so as long as a PC is set to Output at any of the above via HDMI or DVI there are no problems - the Problem (for some) is that the XDE TV actually has 1024x768 pixels and there is no support for a 1024x768P signal on the HDMI socket.

As long as your PC has the ability to Output 1280x720P at 50 and 60Hz there should be no issues with hooking it to a 1280x720 pixel Projector via an HDMI Input.

As for the cable I'd avoid any adapters you can - get a straight DVI to HDMI cable if that's what you require; you can adapt it at a later date if required due to a change in kit.

Keep in mind with DVI you may find you are limited to how long a cable you can use - test any cables in your set up before you commit to a purchase or an install.

Best regards

Joe

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did dvi cable with adapter as dvi cables are much cheaper

8. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i used the cheapest 10m DVI cable i could get (about £20) and used the adapter (about £10) and it is pixel perfect with no problems whatsoever. i have tried it with hi def 720 and 1980 sources and it is a stunning image which i am sure a super expensive £100+ cable would not improve one single bit.

save your money and try a cheap dvi cable first, buy it online and you can try it out and return it if not happy. i try and get my stuff from germany as the shops rarely sell poor quality stuff but here are the best uk online retailers ive used:

cpc, farnell, ARD Electronics

try ARD first they are pretty reasonably priced

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    sainthalo

I have to say our 'taste tests' tend to fly in the face of popular opinion.

We often supply customers with a selection of DVI cables on sale or return - Molex, BetterCables and WireWorld and its mostly the BetterCables cable they keep as they 'see' its has visual benefits over the low cost Molex and on a par with the much more expensive WireWorld cables.

I do the same with IT customers and again they tend to prefer the BetterCables over the Molex; I usually supply these cables 'unbranded' and they simply test them as cable 01, 02 or 03 with no prior knowledge of price or make.

Best regards

Joe

PS And I find adapters can make a difference too :) - ask the many In focus 'ScreenPlay' owners who have problems with various DVI to M1 adapters :)

10. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Isn't DVI a digital format. If so then I would imagine the quality of the cable is irrelevant because either the signal arrives intact or it doesn't.

Or is there something else to it.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    Hello cyberheater

As you say the first trick is to get a signal that's free from drop out (sparkles) - or one that simply works once your over 3m with DVI.

Once you have a working signal you can 'see' visible differences between cables if you put up test patterns and look at the high frequency components of your test pattern; some cables will hold the detail some will cause blurred edges.

Its not that some cables are 'better' its that some simply don't do a great job with the signal your trying to send via the cables - you cant 'improve' on the source signal but you can degrade it or add artefacts.

Best regards

Joe

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    With short cables (and I mean the 2mtr variety) there should be no difference at all no matter what you spend, but once you get to 7.5Mtr and beyond (remember the DVI spec is 7.5Mtr) cable quality may have rather more influence in carrying the signal from end to end without too much degradation (commonly known as "sparklies") so digital signal or not, the cable length/shielding and its ability will play a part eventually.

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You bugger, you beat me to it, nice to see we typed the same thing though..... :D