PC (DVI) to HDTV (VGA or HDMI) connection over 15m.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by freeflyer, Jan 12, 2008.

1. freeflyer

freeflyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've done quite a bit of searching but can't seem to find the exact answer to my problem.

I am trying to connect my PC to TV over a 15m distance (specs of both at bottom of post).

Currently I have the PC connected via DVI out to HDMI in on the TV. The problem is (and this is where my knowledge is a bit vague) the HDMI input only accepts 720p or 1080p/i which results in fuzzy text and overscan when viewing the PC desktop.

I've found a way to eliminate the overscan from Nvidia but as far as I understand it I am stuck with the fuzzy text (Is this something to do with the accepted resolutions on the HDMI input on the TV (1,280x720 and 1,920x1,080) not being the same as I want to display from my PC (1,366x768)?

I've read about 1:1 pixel mapping but can find no such setting on my TV.

Anyway I used to have an old PC next to the TV connected to the TV's VGA port, using a VGA to VGA cable. This resulted in a perfect picture (I guess the TV is set up to expect signals from PC's on this input). What I am unsure about is how to do this over 15m, or is that not a problem?

As far as I see it I have two options:-

1. Find a solution to the 'fuzzy' text over the existing DVI to HDMI connection, or

2. Find a way to connect DVI to VGA over 15m.

Hopefully someone with a better knowledge is able to offer some advice before shelling out some more (possibly unecessary) cash. As it is I can still get a refund on the cables I've alraedy bought.

As it stands I've got the audio working without problems.

If I've left out any info that would be useful let me know.

Cheers :)

PC Specs:

E6600 Processor
    8800 GTS 320mb (2 DVI connections)
    2GB Memory

TV Specs:

TX-32LXD700
    Number of Pixels
    1,049,088 (1,366 x 768) pixels
    Applicable PC signals
    XGA (SXGA compressed)
    Applicable Scanning Format
    525 (480)/60i, 525 (480)/60p, 625 (576)/50i, 625 (576)/50p, 750 (720)/50p, 750 (720)/60p, 1125 (1080)/50i, 1125 (1080)/60i

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Unfortunately DVI to VGA would require a converter (do a search on here as there was a recent thread. They're not cheap). Fifteen metres is pushing HDMI I'm afraid, it is possible. Some of the branded cables at 15m have amplification. Bluejeanscables.co.uk seem to have cracked it though and have proved their cables at 15m and beyond, so I would look there. Other options including sending the HD signal via Cat 5 cable but again, this option isn't cheap and would require a sender/receiver to achieve it. The automated/network home sites that deal with TV distribution should be able to advise.

Have you updated your drivers as the latest nVidia drivers should be able to give you 720/1080 resolutions? My mate has a HCPC and I'm pretty sure he said he updated the drivers a couple of months back and now the picture fills the screen.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    With a Tv of this resolution, I would be tempted to stick to VGA
    Try ebuyer.com for some long VGA cables at about £15-£25.

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I think his GPU has twin DVI connectors only so VGA is out of the equation.

5. freeflyer

freeflyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response davepuma.

I did wonder wether 15m HDMI was pushing it but had read that the visible effects would be a sparkling effect or loss of pixels on screen, to no picture at all, rather than fuzzy text. Everything else looks fine its just the text that is the problem (and the overscan but thats sorted). I'm far from an expert so does that still sound like the cable length could be the cause?

I have read about convertors (and the cost:() and was hoping there was a cheaper option to use PC DVI out to TV VGA in over 15m, maybe i'll have to accept there is not.

If its of any use I'm not so interested in HD quality output at the moment as I don't have any HD material so getting the text clear would be preferable.

I'm pretty sure I'm up to date with Nvidia drivers, i'll go off and check now.

Cheers

6. freeflyer

freeflyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your answering quicker than i type...Thanks :)

Yes my Graphics Cards does have 2 DVI connections. I don't mind using VGA at the moment but was under the impression that even if a DVI to VGA adapter (if one exists) was used on my pc connection it would not reach 15m in cable length, or can you boost the signal?

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I think you will find that both DVI outputs also have analogue outputs (VGA) on the spade + 4 pins to one side of the 24pin digital part of the DVI socket (C1, C2, C3, C4 +pin8). These cards always come with one DVI to VGA adapter and there should be one in your graphics card box.
    http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html

Analogue VGA (aka DVI-A) signals are fairly robust and can run much further than DVI/HDMI Digital signals, 25m is fairly easy.

8. freeflyer

freeflyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link pjclark1.

I just checked and my DVI PC connections do have the pins you mentioned.

I do remember an adapter coming with the card so will hunt it down and buy the long vga cable today. I can always return the cable if it does not work.

I always thought VGA could only do short runs for some reason, just goes to show how wrong you can be.

I'll post later with the results.

Cheers

9. freeflyer

freeflyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to you both for the responses.

pjclark1 the VGA cable is working well with the DVI to VGA adapter going into the VGA connection on the TV.

The text is clear and a vast improvment over that displayed by the HDMI connection. In fact I'm writing this on the TV so :thumbsup:

The added advantage seems to be the VGA connection on the TV is set up to adjust the PC input so no overscan occurs like what I experienced through HDMI.

Now I've just got to remove the HDMI cable from the ceiling and floor and install the VGA cable......thats tomorrows problem :D

Cheers