1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC DVI or VGA connection to LCD TV?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Travoli, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Travoli

Travoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, this is my first post. AVForums is the best on the net. I did 6 searches on different terms but didn't find an answer to my (newbie) question.

I am interested in purchasing a Sharp LC45GD4U 45 inch LCD. Prices have finally come down to semi-reasonable. It has DVI-I and VGA input connections. my PC has DVI and VGA outputs. If I am reading things correctly, the VGA connection has a maximum resolution of 1280x1024 on this Sharp TV. The TV supports full 1920x1080, however. If I use a DVI out from the PC video card to the Sharp TV DVI input, can I get a quality 1920x1080 resolution screen? Basically I am interested to know which connection produces the sharpest, all around highest quality screen from a PC. It would be nice to use the full screen. It will mostly be used for gaming. I read that DVI is straight digital to digital, it seems that I could get higher resolution AND better quality from a PC using this signal.

Thanks!

2. nvrsbr

nvrsbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run an Acer AL2671W (26" widescreen LCD) as a computer Monitor. It is connected from the DVI of my Vid Card to the DVI-D input of the TV and the Picture is amazing. I can only run at 1280x768 (max for this TV) but it is very good.

3. Travoli

Travoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

You ever run any fast-paced games with it?

4. jewels

jewels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Samsung LE32R41BD 32" telly, with my HTPC connected to the VGA port. It runs at 1360x768 and is simply stunning (and frees up the HDMI for something else in the future).

I played Need For Speed Underground 2 on the weekend, and saw no ghosting at all. Lots of very fast motion, only blurring when it was meant to!

I thought that DVI was meant to be so much better than VGA, but on the Sammy at least I don't think it could get any better. Any chance you could borrow a laptop to test with the Sharp? Might give you an idea of the VGA performance at least.

Simon.