Pc Dvi Hell

I

Isaac

Help ! I cannot get an image in windows XP connecting PC to Plasma tv using DVI, and believe me, I have tried everything!

The PDP is a Thomson 37PB220S4 (DVI-D)
First tested with Radeon 9600 PRO (DVI-I)
Second test set is a Radeon 9000 PRO (DVI-I)
Cable is a DVI D Dual
The PDP is configured for DVI-PC
Windows does not detect the PDP

The image is displayed while bios and windows boot but is lost when the pointer first showes arrival in windows. Thinking that this may indicate a software problem, I tried completely disinstalling the video driver. The result was positive with image display in windows, up to the point where windows automatically installed its generic video pilot.

I tried every possible resolution and refresh rate with no success. I have heard about powerstrip and thought it may be the answer to my problems - no success. :suicide:

Thinking I may have two bad DVI sources, I tried on my LCD Hitachi 32LD7200 (the PDP is my parents-il law's). It worked without any difficulties and impressive image quality - better than the DVD player connected through component video.

If there is an expert out there, please give me your thoughts, at least. I am sure that it will be of use to others experiencing this problem. I have been looking for something on this on internet for two days with nothing - aside from a thread on this forum that never gave the outcome... :lease:

Dan L

Sound like a display mode compatibility between the PC and DVI input on the panel. In my experience, the DVI port is much more specific with display modes, you may need to consult your user manual to see which display resolutions and refresh rates are supported, then define custom modes in PowerStrip to see if you have any joy.

On my panel, DVI has two settings in the menus, one for "DVI-STB" and one for "DVI-PC". The STB setting in much more fussy on resolutions (understandable I guess) - normal HD resolutions work (1280x720, 1920x1080 etc) but "PC" style resolutions do not produce a display at all (1024x768, 1280x1024 etc). Using the DVI-PC setting gives a bit more flexibility.

I'm wondering if perhaps yours is set (or even hard-wired) to be used with a set-top box rather than a PC, or maybe only works with lower resolutions. It should say in the manual either way.

The fact that it worked immediately on a different panel goes to show that the PC/vid card itself is not the problem.

Dan

ukdan

I had this problem with a samsung. Speak to your tech support people as its probably a faulty EDID chip.

I

Isaac

danluton said:
Sound like a display mode compatibility between the PC and DVI input on the panel.

On my panel, DVI has two settings in the menus, one for "DVI-STB" and one for "DVI-PC". Using the DVI-PC setting gives a bit more flexibility.

The fact that it worked immediately on a different panel goes to show that the PC/vid card itself is not the problem.

Dan
Thanks for the post, Dan. I was getting desperate.

The panel has indeed two DVI modes - 1/ Video and 2/PC. The config is set to PC.

In fact, the manual of the Thomson really sucks. Compared to my Hitachi manual that gives very technical info, it is no help at all, not even resolution/refresh rate settings. What's more is that Thomson just redid their website. It is really bad now, makes you thinks they're getting out of the TV business, it is so blank.

Looking around in powerstrip, I found a customs resolutions in the advanced timing options of the display configuration. I see that there are some predefined, many of which are noted (PDP), (LCD), etc. I going to head over to my parents-in-law's to see if this will change anything. What really gets me is that the panel is not even detected...

I'll let you know what comes of it. I think I'll drag my computer over to the retailer and plug it into the floor model -> perhaps a prob with my chip or dvi port.

Again, thanks for the input. :smashin:

I

Isaac

ukdan said:
I had this problem with a samsung. Speak to your tech support people as its probably a faulty EDID chip.
UKDan, what came of your problem? Did you have to change the panel? I appreciate your post.

I

Isaac

ukdan said:
I got a refund in the end.
Thanks for the reassurance !!!!

I have been trying to customize a resolution acceptable to the PDP through Powerstrip, using some of the proposed custom resolutions. It really doesn't look like I'll get anywhere. I have tried the very basic resolution/color/refresh configs with no outcome.

For info, when the PDP is configured PC-Video (same as Hitachi's STB), a very awful rendering of the boot screen is shown as colorless waves diagonally crossing the screen, again only until windows is up and running.

I'm going to head to the retail store and give theirs a shot. It looks like I've got a defective EDID or DVI port.

:(

Thanks again for the input. If there are any other ideas, let me know. France is not keen on taking stuff back and I may have a hard time changing out this PDP....

Dan L

Have you tried the VGA input?

-Hitman-

Your problem is the PC is defaulting to a standard PC resolution each time you boot!

The only way you can get around this is to have a seperate PC monitor handy, connected to the VGA port of the Radeon and connect the PDP to the DVI port.

Boot the machine up and on the standard monitor go into the display properties, settings, advanced, displays and enable the panel output (DVI)!

Go back to settings and you should see 2 monitors, click the right monitor and select a 1280x720 resolution and apply.

You should now have a display on your plasma!

Dr.

MAW

Banned
That's surely a mistake on the res there, Dr? Generally, DVI on even SD plasmas prefers standard PC res. I'd be inclined to start off with VGA at 60Hz, if it won't do that it's busted IMHO! Then start pushing the res up, or to panel native, or to 1280/720, allowing windows to revert to last working res if it does not display. 640/480 is start screen display size, and windows default with no drivers, so it'll work.

-Hitman-

MAW said:
That's surely a mistake on the res there, Dr? Generally, DVI on even SD plasmas prefers standard PC res. I'd be inclined to start off with VGA at 60Hz, if it won't do that it's busted IMHO! Then start pushing the res up, or to panel native, or to 1280/720, allowing windows to revert to last working res if it does not display. 640/480 is start screen display size, and windows default with no drivers, so it'll work.
Seen my mistake, sorry 1280x720!

Thanks for the heads up Maw!

Edit done!

Dr.

MAW

Banned
I'd still be very surprised if it did not take VGA, in fact we know it will, it displays the startup screen. I reckon get the picture up there 1st, with VGA (640/[email protected]) then fiddle to get it looking good. Even your Pio takes VGA, Dr!

-Hitman-

Maw, I wouldn't confuse matters for Isacc with other resolutions that have a higher possibility of failure!

The Dvi on this particular model accepts video resolutions i,e 1280x720 and 1920x1080 for sure.

Dr.

MAW

Banned
Well, as I say, 640 x 480 is already working. As for PCs, I think you'd find I'm up to speed. I install networks as part of the service, and normally connect something PC wise in the course of an install. Not to Thompson plasmas I have to admit, I've never even seen one, which I don't regret. VGA is part of the HDMI spec, so even on STB setting, I'd still expect to get a picture. Once you have something on the screen, it's fairly easy to usr that as a base to experiment from.

Dan L

Dr HTPC said:
Your problem is the PC is defaulting to a standard PC resolution each time you boot!

The only way you can get around this is to have a seperate PC monitor handy, connected to the VGA port of the Radeon and connect the PDP to the DVI port.
Dr.
Why would the PC default to a 'standard PC resolution' at each reboot? Mine is attached to DVI only and my PC never strays from its 1920x1080 system resolution. Once it's set then thats it...also if Power Strip is running then once that kicks it it will switch resolutions anyway.

K

k0rn

danluton said:
Why would the PC default to a 'standard PC resolution' at each reboot? Mine is attached to DVI only and my PC never strays from its 1920x1080 system resolution. Once it's set then thats it...also if Power Strip is running then once that kicks it it will switch resolutions anyway.
Pretty simple: if the TV and the video card don't sync properly, the video card doesn't recognize the resolutions the TV can support. Thus, standard resolutions are used.

Resolution is to "force 720P" or to configure a custom monitor within Powerstrip.

MAW

Banned
If it's not talking to the monitor, it will boot up at last set resolution. The only 'defaulting' going on is the startup screen, 640/480, which is before the device drivers have loaded. Hence my advice to set 640/480 and work from there. Every time you set a new res, it waits 15 secs for you to confirm, then reverts to previous, so you will never lose the picture again, you have time to play with powerstrip and get 1280/720 timings right. I'm sure that'll be the best place to end up, thoguh there is likely to be some overscan, which can be a nuisance.

-Hitman-

danluton said:
`

Because his machine has not been configured correctly yet and new settings saved, monitor recodnised etc..., defaults are usually 640x480 or 800x600 depending on the drivers and usually 640x480 if the monitor is not detected /saved!

As well as above!

Dr.

MAW

Banned
Well, if it were defaulting to either of these resolutions, it would be displaying, they are both part of the HDMI spec, which a 'video' DVI port should work with. If you are right, Dr, I think the DVI might be faulty, or at least has the 'feature' of not working correctly LOL! That's not uncommon. You are spoiled by your Pioneer, which does everything it says it will on the box. Out there in the world of other displays, they don't always do that. If that Thompson is Samsung based (I don't know) you'll find quite a number of posts from people who could not get DVI to work at all with a PC, or a scaler, where the timings are a bit more transparent.

-Hitman-

I would say in Isacc's case that it would be 800x600 as this is a Radeon default res and the DVI being faulty on the panel is possible but remote.

Maybe a browse through his manual should give an indication of supported res's as the Dvi port on different models accept different res specs!

On my HDMI i cannot get anything displayed with the default res suggested earlier!

I believe the thomson is an hitachi ALIS based screen and if Issac still has problems he should look in the Hitachi threads!

Dr.

MAW

Banned
OK, all Hitachi DVIs will take 800x600 though. Not to say the thompson is electronically identical of course. Hitachis usually produce the best PC picture at XGA res, but if it's video only the chances of that working are pretty small.

-Hitman-

MAW said:
OK, all Hitachi DVIs will take 800x600 though. Not to say the thompson is electronically identical of course. Hitachis usually produce the best PC picture at XGA res, but if it's video only the chances of that working are pretty small.
Chances are it is a video only connection thats why i suggested the 1280x720 res!

Dr.

I

Isaac

It was an ATI/Thomson prob. I borrowed a buddy's Nvidea 6600, flipped the thing on, and it all worked.

You all offered some pretty complete advice. I am not a pro, but have fiddled around enough with this all to have tried every possiblity with the ATI card. Nothing worked, not even the simplest res/clock, nor hi-def configs the pdp is supposed to display.

The fact is, whether the card will output to a display or not (res, clock, etc), if it is cabable of doing so, it will at least show you that the display is connected. In this case (I was using my computer monitor) it didn't have any idea that there was something at the other end of the DVI cable. I think in part because the EDID chip is not fully compatible with a windows environement (just a shot in the dark, but based on the bad luck with ATI and the fact that NVidia, although remarkable for recognizing it, showed it as being a different model in the same pdp family!)

As for the similarity between Hitachi and Thomson, I would like to defend my Hitachi in saying that the two manufacturers are in completely different leagues. Nothing in common aside the alis based panel.

In any case, thanks for your input. I hope that some very frustrated individual may stumble accross this thread in dark hours!! :suicide:

Cheers!

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published