1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC DVD Writers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by andypandy, Jan 7, 2003.

1. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I understand buying a DVD witer capable of writing -r/rw is the one to go for due to Cheap DVD disks and compatible with most home dvd players. I'm looking at spending upto £200. Anyone recommend anything.

I have the Panasonic XV10 home dvd player and obviously like to play them on this machine at the end.

The Pioneer gets quite a mention, but slighly confused with A05 and A04/104 and A04/105 ?? what about the Lacie, Panasonic writers ? anyone with any experience ?

2. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    The Pioneer A04 is the retail version and the 104 is the OEM version (no software) the A04/104 is 2 speed and the newer A05/105 is 4 speed, but otherwise almost identical.

Be aware that it is not a simple process making DVD's, you will need a few different bits of software and a lot of time. Look at this site for more info: www.vcdhelp.com/

mij

3. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for that. I now that making dvd's isn't very straightforward - basically you have to copy the DVD onto your hard disk , using any one of a variety of specific software and then using different programs create the movie file and then yet another program to write the new movie file. There are some software applications that may do the last 2 jobs or you may end up using 3 very seperate applications to do the 3 stages.

I thought I would briefly mention this in case, as you quite rightly mention, people think it is as straight forward as burning a data CD.

4. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andypandy,

You mentioned the Panasonic writer. I've been looking at buying this recently - it's a DVD -R or DVD -RAM writer which would be compatible with your DVD player. The main feature I was looking at is that its compatible with my E30 recorder. The downside as you rightly mention is that you have to convert from RAM to MPEG to be able to write to DVD-r. Unless you have a computer with a fast processor (I was reccomended approx 2ghz) this process will take hours for a 2 hour recording.

For your info www.ebuyer.com are doing the 433 bare drive at £159.99 which is an absolute steal!

5. Niteman2002

Niteman2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD-RAM files from the E-30
    are stored as *.vor files if you copy them
    to your hard disk and rename them *.vob files you can
    then write them to dvd-r the same as any vob files
    ripped from a commercial disk.

Regards

Niteman2002

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Or you could rename them .MPG, demux them and import them into Spruceup (etc) to design menus, insert chapters etc.