PC DVD Writer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JVL, Jul 27, 2005.

1. JVL

JVL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for advice on replacing my current writer, Pioneer 106 which will not read DVD-Ram.
    I want to take DVD-RAM discs produced on Panasonic E55 and author them on to DVD-R discs.
    I was thinking of the LG4163 or LG5163 but I believe they have problems reading discs produced on Panasonic reorders. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Somepeople have had problems using them with the latest 3x DVD-RAM discs (that are enabled for CPRM recording) so you might be safer opting for a Pioneer (which now read DVD-RAM) or Toshiba drive. See this Guide on buying DVD-RAM compatible hardware.

Ironically over the next 12 months it's going to get hard to buy hardware that isn't DVD-RAM compatible: NEC, Liteon, HP, BenQ and TEAC are all adding DVD-RAM read/write support in upcoming models (largely thanks to HP's influence). And Pioneer are adding write support to their future 110 model. This, coupled with existing support from Toshiba, Samsung, Panasonic, ASUS and Iomega means virtual 100% market support for DVD-RAM. Nice.

3. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    For info, I have the LG 4163B and the Panasonic ES10, and haven't had any problems using RAM disks (3x CPRM) in the ES10 after they have been in the 4163B.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Likewise - I haven't had any problems with my LG4120 and the ES20D. Some people have though so it's worth mentioning.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    The current Pioneer 109 reads RAM at 2x. The upcoming 110 will read at 5x (otherwise, it is the same as the 109).

Even though, I have the 109, I like using my LG 4040 for the RAM.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    According to all the info put out so far the new 110 will have 5x DVD-RAM read and write. Unfortunately links to all the news archives seem to be broken and I can't be bothered to waste 1 second more looking - so here is a link to a report of the report:

...and one of the many internet discussions it has generated:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=137735

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Does anyone write to RAM on a PC? I have only done it once since I had teh LG 4040. It was to convert VOB's to VRO and see if it worked on my Panny E50 (and it did).

My 109 has been excellent but I don't use CD's on it. I burn mainly DL+R's.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I've used DVD-RAM since 2000 as my ready use data backup and for basic file transfer between my PCs - the format has never let me down or resulted in data loss. I foresee myself using it for quite sometime to come - especially as support now seems to be becoming universal.

9. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Before you throw away the Pioneer 106, be aware that the 106 in my PC will happily read a DVD-RAM from my E85. The trick is to set the disk to "locked" on the E85. Perhaps this will work on your E55 too.

10. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread just reminded me of a question i was gonna ask a while back - any decent pc dvd writers around that write to caddied dvd-ram media?
    I'm seriously considering it as a form of data backup at the moment....

(has that question already been answered above? - i'm not down with all the different drives available at the moment)

:)

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Only a select few Panasonic drives will accept caddied DVD-RAM media - the current model is the SW-9573 but that is only an 8x DVD+/-R(W) drive and is difficult to source now. A new drive, the LF-M821 (16x DVD+/-R with +/- DL recording), has just started shipping in Japan and is likely to available here in the next few months. However as Panasonic supplies 99% of it's marketed drives to the OEM market you'll need to keep a good eye out.

12. JVL

JVL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I have not responded sooner following my intial posting.

I am new to DVD recording so it takes me some time to absorb the different opinions.

I will certainly try to see if my current 106 will read DVD-RAM discs. I had previously contacted Pioneer UK and they advised me that only later versions are able to read them.

I have looked on the interent for the 110 and as Rasczak states they do not yet appear to have been released although some sites are saying they should be available in June 05

I thank everyone for their advice on this my first posting.