Quantcast

PC DVD vs Samsung 950 on HDMI

M

mrbcool

Ok I'm just trying to work out which will deliver the best quality.

Panasonic AE700 projector:

1- Viewing DVD's via a PC

2- Viewing DVD's via a Samsung 950 DVD player on HDMI connection.

I assume both will be upscaling the original source but will the Sammy be better as it runs a native 16:9 res like the PJ?

MikeK

Novice Member
It pretty much depends on the PC in question, and how you set it up.
A modern PC with a decent graphics card running something like Theatertek with ffdshow, via DVI to the HDMI input on the PJ, would most probably come out on top in a straight shootout.

However there is the question of cost - the Samsung solution is much cheaper and will be a lot less hassle to set up and use (and while it may not quite be as good, that's not the same as saying it would be crap - I expect it would still be pretty decent).

Of course if you already have a suitable PC...........:) :)

podavies

Novice Member
I'm using a HD950 and a PC using 6600gt video card connected to my Samsung 32" HD TV and i never use the HD950 anymore, the PC deilvers a picture of far better quailty of picture

Nic Rhodes

I would take the HCPC and the Sansung 950 is a turkey :( but other player are much better and much cheaper than a HCPC.

M

mrbcool

Cool, like what? I bascially want a decent DVD player under £130, esp if its going to beat my pc running a Geforce 5200 card. Any recomendations would be great, one with a HDMI port I presume.

bbdivo

Novice Member
mrbcool said:
Cool, like what? I bascially want a decent DVD player under £130, esp if its going to beat my pc running a Geforce 5200 card. Any recomendations would be great, one with a HDMI port I presume.
I just ordered the OPPO upscaling player for around £140 delivered from the OPPO web site (based in the US) £10 over your budget, but I beleive this player is pretty impressive! It has a DVI port but is supplied with a choice of either a DVI-DVI cable or a DVI-HDMI cable.

Top Bottom