PC -> DVD Recorder via Firewire

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by apj30, May 9, 2005.

1. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I want to transfer video from my PC to my Sony DVD Recorder (GX700) using the Firewire cable.

When I connect the two devices my PC recognises the DVD Recorder but I have been unable to transfer videos to the Recorder via either Media Player or Movie Maker.

I do at least get a "Send to DV Camera" option highlighted in Movie Maker so it's clearly recognising that there is a DV device present but then I get a message telling me to insert a tape :)

Hopefully this isn't as stupid as it sounds because the Firewire standard should be universal, the fact that it doesn't happen to be a specific Firewire device shouldn't matter too much, just wondered if anyone else had been successful with this and if so, how?

Thanks!

Andy

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm not sure about the GX700, but in general the DV in on set top recorders is specific to connecting a DV camcorder... it isn't a generic interface where you can connect any firewire device. Does the DVD recorder recognise the PC? I don't use Movie Maker, but look around to see if there is some option to "avoid DV camera control" (I have something similar with my editing software, where I can tell it not to try and control a DV camera). If you can find this you might be able to get the PC to output the DV, and maybe the recorder will recognise it.

Mark

3. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Am at work now so cannot test but think I can do it with a program called WinDV:

http://windv.mourek.cz/

It seems to be less restrictive in that it outputs to both DV cameras and DV recorders.

Will try it tonight and let you know how it goes!

Andy

4. JOHNXL1S

JOHNXL1S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Works wirh my pioneer form the timeline
    john

5. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cracked it, WinDV works like a charm, I can play AVI files through it that are then fed into the MiniDV input socket on my DVD recorder and can be recorded onto DVD.

6. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apj30

What is your DVD recorder recognised as in Device Manager? I tried connecting my Toshiba XS32 to my laptop (via firewire) but the Toshiba complains it doesn't recognise the equipment and on the laptop Windows wants to find drivers for an "AV/C Subunit" but can't.