PC DVD Recorder purchase help pls

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dts borg, Dec 29, 2003.

1. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm looking into upgrading my PC with a DVD recorder. And was hoping I could get a little help :lesson:

I have a Philips 880 DVD Recorder a Panasonic Gx7 DV Camcorder and use Windows XP (movie Maker 2 ) So all I need is a PC DVD Recorder that will record R+ RW Media. Oh I nearly forgot I also Have a 5 week old son :clap: Will I ever get the time for using it:nono: The wife shouts out :rotfl:

Back to the PC DVD Recorder Please can some one point me in the right direction i.e. Liteon,plextor, Sony? And the BEST place to buy it from.

Thanks dts...............:smashin:

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    After looking around a few months ago, i settled on a Pioneer 106D as it was coming highly recommended from various sources. It has been a wise purchase as friends and colleagues with different hardware experience all sorts of problems that don't appear to affect the 106 eg media compatibility/recognition problems.

3. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dts borg,

Just bought myself a Sony DRU510-AK from PC World for £99. Currently reduced from £130, and so far I'm impressed. Writes all DVD + - formats except for RAM. Only used it with Packard Bell +R media at 2x so far, and it took 25 mins to write a full disc.
    Disc plays in all players I have tried so far. Also ships with white or black fascias in the box.

The Pioneer 106/A06 is a good unit too, and has the benefit of custom firmwares being available to make it region free.

Visit this site for some info on firmwares, and views on hardware.

If you want to get a drive today rather than wait for delovery, and region free is not an issue I'd go to PC World and grab the Sony. Get a box of the +R Packard Bell 2X discs for £16 and you're up and running.

i know I've paid over the odds for my media, but I wanted some discs to use over xmas and new year. I'll get some online or from a computer fair next week - typically £17 for 25 discs.

hope this is of use,
    Tony

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Pc World are doing BOGOF on 25 PC Line DVD+R for £27 - 50 for £27.

5. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Pioneer 106 Sounds like a good bet as I have been using the 106 DVD player for around a year with no problems.

How long will it take to burn on a R+ and RW DVD? and will it burn CD R

Thanks for the help guys.......;)

Found the drive on ebuyer for £86 inc vat...:clap:

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,878
  7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    A dvd takes around 18 minutes to burn (i use -R), i believe +R is a little faster to write to, and yes it burns cd's as well.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    I would also recommend the Pioneer 106
    I got it from www.dabs.com for £84.99inc but this does not include any software, so I also got Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 for £29.38, but has now gone up to £41.12 and is very easy to use and gives great results. The software can be downloaded from www.ulead.com for a free trial.
    This drive was recommended as a best buy by Computer Video mag above the likes of the Sony drive.

Mark.

9. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hey MarkE19 you live in the same town as me :hiya:

Software was my next question as I will really only be burning my Camcorder recordings made with windows xp movie maker 2. Will I really need software?

Happy New Year....... dts :zonked:

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    I've only briefly looked at MM2 so am unsure as to what can be output from it.
    To record to DVD you need to convert your AVI file to MPEG-2 which takes software (MM2 might do this, am unsure) and you then need another piece of software to create menu's/chapters and then another to burn the finished files to the DVD disk.
    So, yes you do need software to create a DVD. Many programmes will do a couple or even all of the required jobs. Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 does the lot from capture from camcorder through to creating the final disk and although I use Adobe Premiere for editing I still found this to be a very good VFM product. There are of couse many others.

Mark.

11. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the help Guys. Pioneer 106 on its way from e buyer. Used them as I have an account with them.

Happy New Year ......:zonked: dts