PC DVD re-writer - any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Shady, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi chaps

I am looking to purchase a DVD re-writer (internal PC), to make copies of our wedding DVD and also to edit together footage taken by Fathers, Uncles etc... in order to produce disks to send out for Christmas.

However, I am new to all this. What should I be looking for in terms of a DVD writer ? I am used to creating CD's and installing the unit into the PC, but am bewildered by the + / - and dual layer formats. What would be the recommendations ?

Should I go for a dual layer + / - burner, which seems the obvious choice and if so, what would be the most appropriate media to record onto (I have Nero 6) ? From looking back through previous posts it appears that the - format is more compatible than +.

Any help would be appreciated (as ever) from those in the know.

Cheers

2. PHOBIC ®

PHOBIC ®

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use an LG dual -/+ and so far have used rediculously cheap overprints CD blanks to record music, and so far just Datasafe DVD-r to record mpegs. No problems so far

3. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also have an lg, it supports everything including ram, and is quite cheap too

4. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

I've been using a Pioneer A05 -r/-rw and a Pioneer A08 -r/-rw/+r/+rw with no problems.

Picked the A08 for £47.00 at the local computer fair and made the drive multi-region with the firmare available on the Internet. No problems over the last two months and records to all DVD's I've used from the cheapies to the more expensive discs.