PC dvd-ram to TV dvd-ram / dvd-r

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wellsi, May 14, 2002.

1. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Morning all...

So, af a bit of browsing, I've picked up a DVD-RAM drive for the PC for £100. Not bad, considering the PC had no dvd-rom drive at all, and the Toshiba SD-WD2002 ide dvd-ram drive reads normal dvd, cd and dvd-ram. Better still, it also writes to dvd-ram.

So, as Ibeck, eckostar and more will already have guessed;

If I connect the PC to the input and output of the Panasonic DMRE20 dvd recorder under the TV, can I use both to make copies of ram discs?

3 main options (and my initial thoughts) are:
    A: Can a ram disc that was originally recorded on the Panasonic be played back on the PC, allowing me to hook up the Panasonic to copy it on to dvd-r?
    (No, I think, as I think I read that Panasonic recorded RAM discs won't play on any other machine.)

B: Can a ram disc recorded on the PC with the PC's video editing software be played back on the PC and thus copied to the Panasonic to finish off onto a dvd-R.
    (Yes, I think, as the PC is simply another input to the Panasonic.)

C: Can I copy a ram disc playing in the Panasonic to the PC-ram?
    (Possibly, which may be a work around for the first question).

Clearly, the most useful option is playing back Panasonic recorded ram discs on the PC to allow copying onto DVD-R using the Panasonic.

Do you guys have any thoughts and offers of help?
    (Apologies to those that are so confused they've fallen asleep...)

Cheers,

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    wellsi Morning or Evening now :)

I would suggest you post the question to the folowing forum as well. Some PC experts there too.

http://www.dv-info.net

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Wellsi

Don't know what you may have discovered on the other forum, but my own experience suggests you may be unlucky on most counts. there is very little interoperability between the E20 and a PC.

Option A - think you are right, it won't work

Option B - yes if your video card supports s-video out. But then you will be going digital to analogue back to digital with loss of quality.

Option C - not sure, but again I suspect only if your PC has analogue dgital capture. I've already tried digital connection (firewire) between my PC and E20 and got blank screens. To be fair the E20 manual does say it won't talk digitally with your PC.