pc dvd firmware upgrading

Sly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi i have a toshiba sd-m1502 dvd-rom drive could some explain the firmware upgrade process for this type of player to make it region free?
thanks.

If there's a firmware update you run a program that does the flashing, usually it's a Windows program. This site is one of the best for discovering firmware updates, offical and otherwise. ;)

If there's no hacked firmware you'll need something like AnyDVD or DVD Region Free to do that for you.

i already got the firmware off this site , i am just unsure of what to do with it!
i need the program which will patch the drive for me but i couldnt find it on this site.

The program is included with the firmware patch. Extract the files from the file you downloaded, reboot in DOS mode and then run update.bat from the folder you extracted the files to. You may be able to run it from a DOS prompt in Windows as well, but I'm not familiar with Toshiba drives/firmware so unless others confirm that you can do it from a Windows DOS prompt I wouldn't do it (or rather you do so at your own risk)

what do you have to type in dos to get it to run?

Sly said:
what do you have to type in dos to get it to run?

Type "update" without the quotes.

Sly, if you are unsure of how to flash the firmware then DON'T DO IT!! You will bugger up your drive and end up with a useless piece of metal. Try the DVD Region-Free programme if you can, or DVD Genie.

are those just as good?

Mindcrime said:
They always seemed to work for me. And they are free, which is always an added bonus :thumbsup:

Are you sure about that. DVD Region Free costs $39.95, although there is a lite version available for $24.95. DVD Genie is free, but says that it will only work on region-free drives which sly doesn't have yet.

:(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom