PC downloads hogging all our bandwidth

anlygi

I recently upgraded from Virgin M100 to M350.

The problem is when I am downloading something on my PC (Ethernet), it's hogging all the bandwidth at about 45-46MB/s and the wife and kids are complaining of buffering on their iPads/Firesticks. I tested in the same room and my Xbox won't even connect to Xbox Live (using Wi-FI) whilst the PC is downloading.

I have tried using QoS on my trusty 3 year old ASUS RT-AC1200G+, but even setting my bandwidth and limiting all priorities to 80%), it absolutely tanks download speeds on my PC to about 80Mbit, making paying for 350 (I get about 389) pointless. Ideally I'm trying to limit my PC to around 300Mbit max.

Is there a way I can limit the bandwidth on the NIC side (Intel on my ASUS motherboard)? I know some clients like GOG Galaxy allow you to set max download speed but I'm looking for an overall solution for everything.

Is it the case that I might need a new router with better QoS, if so what would you suggest? Reason fo thinking that is I came across this site, which seems to suggest QoS isn't reliable on some ASUS models.

I live in a 3 story townhouse and the current setup is Superhub 3 in modem mode and ASUS RT-AC1200G+ doing the routing and WI-Wi on the ground and first floors. Cat5e from the ASUS to a Tenda router in access-point mode (different SSIDs and channels) on the third floor, with my PC and my son's PC connected to it via ethernet. I've removed the Tenda from the equation and tried with a gigabit switch and and still the same issue, so I know it's not that.

Oddly, this didn't seem to happen when we were on M100! My head is fried.

next010

Distinguished Member
Get Netlimiter and you can control everything on the PC.

I have not used that software but if you look here the main PC called warhorse in the picture allows a limit being applied to it so that may limit everything globally without having to target select apps. But even if it doesn't the program auto scans for all network apps on the PC and its trivial to apply limits to most used apps.

Or if you want to try the Asus again on the Asus QoS tab
set QoS type = bandwidth limiter
in client list select your PC and desired limits

Don't use the adaptive QoS stuff just try simple bandwidth limiter assigned to MAC address above and see if that works, if you have already tried that then not sure, must be some other network configuration issue.

Last edited:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I've often found bandwidth rationing to be a bit "voodoo" in that it never quite seems to "work" as one expects - even in some super duper expensive firewalls I've used.

If you apply the limits on the PC itself, (doesn't Windows ship with some QOS built in - ISTR MS trumpeting it a few version back) it would be interesting to try and apply the limits such that local LAN traffic is unlimited but anything else is throttle - you could key that on the IP addressing.

anlygi

Get Netlimiter and you can control everything on the PC.

I have not used that software but if you look here the main PC called warhorse in the picture allows a limit being applied to it so that may limit everything globally without having to target select apps. But even if it doesn't the program auto scans for all network apps on the PC and its trivial to apply limits to most used apps.

Or if you want to try the Asus again on the Asus QoS tab
set QoS type = bandwidth limiter
in client list select your PC and desired limits

Don't use the adaptive QoS stuff just try simple bandwidth limiter assigned to MAC address above and see if that works, if you have already tried that then not sure, must be some other network configuration issue.

Thanks. I give Netlimiter a go and it seems to be doing the trick, limited download to 300Mbit/s and upload to 30Mbit/s. Tried a game download from GOG Galaxy and it's around 37MB/s, so started a Netflix UHD stream at the same time and no buffering. I know for sure it's Netlimiter as I disabled it and the download from GOG jumped up to 45MB/s.

I tried the bandwidth limit option on the ASUS too and, like other modes, download speed was tanking to around 80Mbit even though I set it to 300. It was still tanking after I disabled QoS too so I had to revert the router to factory and set it all up again, which was a pain with all the rules I had for filtering and port forwarding for my son's minecraft server he plays with a few trusted friends on. Took a backup of the settings after I set it up again so I can easily revert after future changes!

I've often found bandwidth rationing to be a bit "voodoo" in that it never quite seems to "work" as one expects - even in some super duper expensive firewalls I've used.

If you apply the limits on the PC itself, (doesn't Windows ship with some QOS built in - ISTR MS trumpeting it a few version back) it would be interesting to try and apply the limits such that local LAN traffic is unlimited but anything else is throttle - you could key that on the IP addressing.

Thanks. I'll have a bit of a dig about to see if it's possible within Windows 10 Pro, as it would be preferable to a third party application, but Netlimiter is only using about 63MB of RAM so it'll do for now. Once the trial expires I'll decide if I want to purchase it. My networking knowledge is intermediate at best, learned a bit on my degree course but anything I know is from setting up home networks since the 90s.

Ideally I'd like to set it up to prioritise streaming traffic, I'd have thought the router would take care of that, but if Netlimiter is working for now then I'm happy enough. Until my son and I are downloading at the same time and end up back at square one! Odd that we never had this problem until I upgraded to M350.

Last edited:

oneman

might find that QoS is maxing the router CPU thus causing a bandwidth issue. If you look on the router home screen there is a CPU and RAM monitor on there. Try switching off AiProtection, Traffic Analyser and Auto channel selection if they are switched on.

They are all great features but the dual core CPU just isn't up to the job with everything switched on and fast internet connection. Its a lot better on newer quad core routers.

anlygi

might find that QoS is maxing the router CPU thus causing a bandwidth issue. If you look on the router home screen there is a CPU and RAM monitor on there. Try switching off AiProtection, Traffic Analyser and Auto channel selection if they are switched on.

They are all great features but the dual core CPU just isn't up to the job with everything switched on and fast internet connection. Its a lot better on newer quad core routers.

You could be right about that. I haven't tinkered with any settings, kids are watching a film on Disney+, but once I started a download on my PC, the CPU immediately spiked to 100%. Seems to bounce between 50% and 80% and that's with QoS off. I suppose the streaming buffering could be happening when the CPU is maxed out?

Router.PNG

It may be time to retire my trusty ASUS for something more modern in that case. I wonder how the Superhub 3 copes... I might temporarily remove the ASUS and see, its poor Wi-Fi coverage and needing IP/URL filtering were the reasons I got my own router. It would certainly explain why it's only happened since almost quadrupling my speed.

oneman

I've upgraded to AX88U and its running fine on 600mb connection even with all features turned on. Also worth looking at Merlin firmware on the faster routers. I prefer to do things on the router, don't need to mess with devices then which are often quick limited in their control.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yep I would be tempted to remove the asus router and just use the tenda for WiFi duties and see if you have the same problem.

If it works ok then you can look at replacing the router with something else

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom