1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC display quality on a Pan 42PWD5 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Darbyweb, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Am preparing my self for the Plasma purchase, have decided the Panasonic is the way to go.

BUT someone told me that PC display is not a lot of good due to 852x480 resolution ?? - is this true, and how poor will it look.

At my 3k'ish budget am fairly limited the Hitachi's come in at that giving 1024x1024, but have in built fans which i'm a bit concerned with regarding noise..

Thanks

Dean.

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Depends on what you want to do. If you want to run speadsheets etc, a plasma screen isn't the best option. Better to have a proper PC monitor - either CRT or TFT. Where plasma screens do excel is with presentations to a group of people where a projector wouldn't be suitable.

For TV viewing, it's a different matter. You could use your PC to play back DVDs etc, and this would be fine. Even for game playing it's fine (although I prefer to use an XBox).

It really depends on how you wish to use the PC with your screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All i was think of using the PC display for, was to view something like winamp or my slimp3 web interface.

So would a 1024x768 screen look distorted or fuzzy when viewed on the Plasma ?

Thanks

Dean.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For those applications I wouldn't worry about it. You're not really doing much. I wouldn't keep the same static image on the screen constantly though.

The screen will be distored as you're going from a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9. There's applications you can get on the internet where you can change the resolution of your screen to match the plasma, but I can't remember what it's called. Try www.cnet.com

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Having had a low res and now a high res plasma, there's no doubt that PC applications look much better on the high res. If you want to use it for a PC then try to go for at least 1024x768. I have the Pioneer 433MXE and it functions well as a monitor.

6. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dean,

I have a 42" Panny running mostly at 852x480 - once it is set up correctly the quality is superb - great for running winamp and occasional apps/browser etc.

If you want to run a lot of apps or do a lot of browsing then the only trouble with that res is you don't fit a lot on the screen. I found 800x600 and 1024x768 modes perfectly acceptable and readable, with the 1024x768 mode being just slightly blurry - but this was without me setting anything up properly or snapping in the display.

But for what I do (winamp & displaying art) the native screen res of 852x480 is fine and I prefer this becuase the winamp display is nice and large which is what I want.

The custom-resolution application you may want is called powerstrip:
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm

7. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Codlord - that sounds like exactly my usage - i dont image we're all going to sit there in the evening browsing the net via the plasma - thats what the laptops for !!

I like the idea of displaying art on the screen - what do you display ??

I've used a few images from digital blasphemy - i am now imagining 42"s of those images - coool

Thanks

Dean.

8. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As you don't want to display static images for long periods of time I either switch off the display after setting my winamp music going, display winamp visulisations or display pics in a slideshow using a very good shareware prog - Pictures2EXE http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/

I got some superb classics like Van-gogh and Matisse from the excellent Paris web museum:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/

I also got a load of Earth Art (Satellite images which are just amazing) from here:
    http://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/earthasart/

Also got a set of Space images that I got from some Astonomy site.